This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9092 / 50°54'33"N
Longitude: -2.5185 / 2°31'6"W
OS Eastings: 363643
OS Northings: 112323
OS Grid: ST636123
Mapcode National: GBR MT.R5R5
Mapcode Global: FRA 56MP.SST
Entry Name: St Antony's Convent
Listing Date: 11 July 1951
Last Amended: 8 October 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1119166
English Heritage Legacy ID: 106075
Location: Leweston, West Dorset, Dorset, DT9
District: West Dorset
Civil Parish: Leweston
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Lillington St Martin
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 61 SW LEWESTON MANOR
2/57 Saint Antony's
11.7.51 Convent (formerly
Country house, now used as school. Late C18 - for William Gordon. West wing
added mid-C19. Interior largely remodelled c.1930, - architect Maxwell Ayrton.
Original house has ashlar stone walls, roof concealed behind parapet, ashlar
stacks behind parapet. 2 storeys. On main front, centre section projects
lightly. This pedimented, the pediment breaking through a raised solid parapet.
Moulded cornice at base of parapet and a second moulded course at lower level.
Central porch has balustraded parapet with solid angle piers capped with urns.
Round-arched doorway in moulded arch with keystone and imposts, flanked by
Ionic pilasters supporting parapet. Each side of porch, in centre bay, one
elliptical arched sash with glazing bars in raised stone surround. 3 similar
sashes on first floor. Coat of Arms in pediment. Each side of the centre
bay, 2 similar sashes on each floor. Balustraded-parapet has solid angle
and intermediate piers. Intermediate piers have ball finials; angle piers
and parapet to centre bay have onion-shaped finials. C19 wing at right end
has plastered walls and slate roof with eaves cornice and-coped gables. 2
storeys plus mezzanine. Sashes with glazing bars in stone surrounds. Attached
to house at left end a stone balustraded terrace wall, with moulded coping.
Pair of stone gatepiers with moulded caps and ball finials and iron gates -
this c.1910. Internally most features c1930. Entrance hall has marble
fireplace surround. Above this a mural of the estate incorporating clock
and weathervane. Drawing Room has marble fireplace surround with mirror
overmantel. Mural paintings of Persian hunting scenes and ceiling paintings
of Zodiac, all by George Sheringham. Main stairs with bronze balustrade and
ribbed glass handrail. Panelled doors in polygonal arched openings. Circular
lobby to Staff Room designed as "Parrot's Cage", with bronze grilles and open
dome. Mural paintings by George Sheringham behind grilles. Graded II* for
interior - an Art Deco. period piece. Mid C20 additions not of special interest.
(RCHM Monument 2. (Dorset. Vol.1) )
Listing NGR: ST6364312323
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings