This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.6916 / 50°41'29"N
Longitude: -2.4415 / 2°26'29"W
OS Eastings: 368909
OS Northings: 88092
OS Grid: SY689880
Mapcode National: GBR PY.T0R8
Mapcode Global: FRA 57S7.SRX
Entry Name: Herringston House
Listing Date: 26 January 1956
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1119179
English Heritage Legacy ID: 106007
Location: Winterborne Herringston, West Dorset, Dorset, DT2
District: West Dorset
Civil Parish: Winterborne Herringston
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Winterbourne Monkton and Winterbourne Herrringston St Simon and St Jude
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SY 68 NE WINTERBORNE HERRINGSTON
5/113 Herringston House
Manor House in grounds. C14 courtyard house, of which north range
and the north parts of the east and west ranges were taken down at
the beginning of C19. Remodelled or partly rebuilt in late C16.
Great Chamber created early C17. Early C19 remodelling of the north
side by Thomas Leverton and present entrance hall created. Late
C19, porch added to the north front. 1899, substantial new wing
added on east side of house, conservatory and outbuildings added
on the west. Stone walls, rendered in cement. Hipped and gabled slate
roof. Rendered stacks. North front: 2 storey gabled wings, ranges
truncated by Leverton. 3 storeys at centre with an embattled parapet.
One window : 3 windows: one window. Leverton's centre has tripartite
sashes with glazing bars, which intersect at the head. Windows
over porch are single sashes also with intersecting glazing bars.
Separate returned labels over all windows. Crown glass. The gabled
wings have 3 light sashes with intersecting glazing bars, set in
shallow recesses with two centred heads, there are quatrefoiled panels
between the upper and lower windows. Central gabled porch has a
pointed arch doorway with separate returned label over. Wooden door
coat of arms over. Inner 2 leaf door is glazed, C19. South front:
2 storeys, irregular fenestration. Upper windows are of C16 with
elliptical headed lights, moulded jambs and heads, and labels. The
projection containing the Great Chamber has C19 buttresses between
which are two ground floor windows, each of 2 elliptical headed lights with
moulded jambs and mullions, and a third window with plain chamfered
jambs. The window above, to the Great Chamber, has moulded jambs
and mullions, and comprises 12 lights with four centred heads divided
into four groups of three, by a transom and heavy central mullion.
Similar windows on the returns. Eaves level raised over Hall by
Leverton. Hall windows have 2 ranges of 4 elliptical headed lights
divided by a transom, under a common label. West of this, the sash
windows to the drawing room and bedroom over are early C18 with plain
stone architraves. 1899 range attached at south east. Portland ashlar
and Ham stone dressings. Slate roofs with Ham stone gable copings. Two
stacks on ridge. 2½ storeys. 4 windows, with projecting and gabled
central bay. Mainly 2 light wood casements with diagonal pattern of
glazing bars throughout. In central bay, windows are of 4 : 4 : 3 lights
with separate returned labels over. Plank door at right hand end.
Interior: the hall, rising through two storeys, has an archway
to the north west with round arched head with keystone, imposts and
jambs, all moulded, finished with chamfered plinths. Above the C19
east doorway to the hall is a similar arched opening to the first
floor landing with a stone balustrade within the archway. Lower
parts of walls are lined with C19 panelling incorporating re-used
pieces of earlier work of C16 and C17. Drawing room to the west is lined
with bolection moulded panelling of early C18. Large dining room has
early C19 fireplace surround with enriched mouldings and drapery flowing
from a female head. Staircase has stone steps of C19. Great Chamber
plates 191, 192, has carved panelling, elaborate fireplace surround,
decorated plaster barrel-vaulted ceiling, all early C17. These are all
described in detail in the R.C.H.M. entry. The plasterwork and panelling
of the Great Chamber are of importance. The manor has been in the
continuous ownership of the Williams family since 1513. (R.C.H.M. Dorset
II, p.388 (1). Coker, Survey of Dorsetshire (1732), 73 Hutchins II,
S27. Country Life, XXXIV (1913), 674-8).
Listing NGR: SY6890988092
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings