This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.6996 / 50°41'58"N
Longitude: -2.5004 / 2°30'1"W
OS Eastings: 364754
OS Northings: 89008
OS Grid: SY647890
Mapcode National: GBR PX.1GSV
Mapcode Global: FRA 57N7.7P9
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Martin
Listing Date: 26 January 1956
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1119183
English Heritage Legacy ID: 106014
Location: Winterborne St. Martin, West Dorset, Dorset, DT2
District: West Dorset
Civil Parish: Winterborne St. Martin
Built-Up Area: Martinstown
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: The Winterbournes
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SY 68 NW WINTERBORNE ST MARTIN MAIN ROAD
Parish Church of
26.1.56 St Martin
Parish Church. C13 sub-bases to the north arcade piers, reused.
C15 chancel and west tower. Nave has north arcade rebuilt in C16.
South wall of nave rebuilt in C19. South porch C19. Church restored
1896-1907. Portland rubble and dressed stone walls. Slate roofs.
Chancel: diagonal buttresses at corners and a 3 stage buttress in
centre of south wall. East window, C15, of 3 cinquefoiled lights with
vertical tracery in a two centred head with a label. The north and south
walls each have 2 C15 windows, similar to the east window but of
two lights only. South doorway has hollow chamfered jambs and a
pointed head. Nave, south wall is rendered externally and has 3 two
stage brick buttresses and 3 three light windows in square heads
with labels. The south doorway has a segmental pointed head.
The north aisle, has a mid C17 east window of 3 square headed lights
North wall has 3 windows, eastern is similar to east window. C15
restored middle window is of 3 trefoiled lights in a segmental pointed
head. Western window is of three trefoiled lights with a C20 head.
West tower: C15, three stages with diagonal buttresses embattled
parapet, pinnacles and gargoyles. Stair turret built against the north
side later in C15. The west window is of 3 trefoiled lights with
vertical tracery in a pointed head with a label. 2nd stage: has
small rectangular windows in east and west walls. Bell chamber has in
each wall a window of 2 trefoiled lights with tracery in a pointed head
with a label, that in north wall is covered by stair turret. South
porch has an outer archway with moulded jambs and pointed head.
Interior: Tower arch of 3 moulded orders, inner and outer springing
from jamb shafts with moulded caps and bases. North arcade of 3
bays with octagonal piers and semi octagonal responds with moulded
caps and bases standing on early C13 sub bases. Caps support
roughly carved abaci from which spring round arches of one stop
chamfered order. Nave roof, C15 trussed rafter with curved braces
with moulded ribs and bosses. North aisle has a C16 lean to roof.
Chancel arch, two centred with continuous orders, C20. Fittings:
font, square Purbeck marble bowl with 5 rounded headed panels in each
face, central and four subsidiary shafts and moulded base, late C12.
Pulpit: oak, 5 sided with moulded cornice and panelled base, early
C17. Communion rails and table, both C17. Monuments: C18 and C19
stone and marble tablets in nave, to T Masterman and Mary his wife 1763-
1757. Also Richards, Guppy and Hawkins monuments, signed Raggett,
Weymouth. (R.C.H.M. Dorset II, p.391 (1)).
Listing NGR: SY6475389009
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings