This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8684 / 50°52'6"N
Longitude: -2.6067 / 2°36'24"W
OS Eastings: 357400
OS Northings: 107832
OS Grid: ST574078
Mapcode National: GBR MQ.TMD5
Mapcode Global: FRA 56FT.28Y
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Osmond
Listing Date: 11 November 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1119242
English Heritage Legacy ID: 105854
Location: Melbury Osmond, West Dorset, Dorset, DT2
District: West Dorset
Civil Parish: Melbury Osmond
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Melbury Osmund with Melbury Sampford St Osmund
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 5707 MELBURY OSMOND
8/106 Parish Church of
Parish Church. C15 west tower, much rebuilt, nave and chancel rebuilt at cost
of Mrs S Strangways Homer in 1745 (tablet in chancel). C19 refenestration in
chancel. Rubble-stone walls, ashlar-faced on south side. Slate roofs. West
tower: of 3 stages, with strings, classical cornice, embattled parapet and
crocketed finials, (refashioning of C18). West doorway has moulded jambs and
depressed-arch head. Plank door. Top stage on west side has an openwork
quatrefoil in roundel, C18. South side has a roundel to ground stage, second
stage has a 2-light window with Y-tracery, 3rd stage has a clock-face. Nave,
3 windows wide, with a cornice and embattled parapet. The windows are of 2-lights
with central stone mullion into Y tracery head, and are round-headed. South
doorway at centre (blocked) has a Gibbs surround, keyed lintel and moulded cornice.
Over the doorway is an oculus with a Gibbs surround. Chancel: south wall has a
window of 2 trefoiled lights, with a trefoil in spherical triangle in the head.
Label and head stops. Pointed-arch doorway and plank door. East window of
3 lights each trefoiled, with quatrefoils and trefoils in the head. Entrance
through west tower door. Interior: Tower arch with 2 orders of responds and
a hollow chamfer between, C15. Chancel-arch, with hollow-and-nave jamb mouldings
and a wide 2-centred arch, c.C18. Roofs: nave has flat wooden ceiling with
ribbed compartments, C20. Chancel has a cambered compartmented ceiling. Fittings:
Font, plain stone bowl set into tower responds, medieval. Sculpture: fragment
of an animal lying flat, trapped in interlacing foliage, c.C10, reset in chancel
N. Wall. Wall-monuments and tablets, to Mrs Homer in chancel recording the 1745
rebuilding. Nave has 4 marble wall tablets to John Perkins, 1791; Perkins, 1812;
Perkins, 1827; Sarah Perkins, 1834. Chest: in tower with enriched top rail and
panelled front, inscribed on lid "Ex dono Gregoni Hoopper, 1697".
(RCHM. Dorset I, p.159(1). Rev J C Townsend, Melbury Osmond, Its Church and People
Listing NGR: ST5740207832
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings