This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.9569 / 50°57'24"N
Longitude: -2.4342 / 2°26'3"W
OS Eastings: 369600
OS Northings: 117590
OS Grid: ST696175
Mapcode National: GBR MY.N33C
Mapcode Global: FRA 56SL.3HV
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 31 July 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1119331
English Heritage Legacy ID: 105658
Location: Purse Caundle, West Dorset, Dorset, DT9
District: West Dorset
Civil Parish: Purse Caundle
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Purse Caundle St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 61 NE -
6/116 Parish Church of St Peter
Parish Church. West tower and chancel-arch, C15. North chapel, early C16.
Chancel rebuilt in 1731. 1883, nave and south porch were rebuilt, and
windows from former nave reset in chancel. Restorations: chancel, 1896.
Tower, 1905. Squared rubble-stone walls with ashlar dressings. Clay-tile
roofs. West tower: of 3 stages divided by strings, moulded plinth and
embattled parapet. Diagonal buttresses to the lower stage. Upper stages
has an angle pilaster continuing as a pinnacle with crocketed finial.
Rectangular stair-turret at the south-east corner. West doorway has a
chamfered four-centred head under a square label. West window is of two
trefoil-headed lights with vertical tracery in a pointed head with a label.
Second stage: square-headed window in west wall. Bell-chamber has a partly-
restored window of 2 trefoil-headed lights. Nave incorporates earlier
material. Two 3-light windows to north and south walls. The south doorway,
reset late C14 has a chamfered two-centred head and continuous jambs with
shaped stops. Chancel: has a 2-light east window with pointed head, C19.
Stone with the inscription GKM 1820 in the gable head. South wall has 2
C15 windows. Eastern window of 3 pointed lights in a square head and with
a casement-moulded surround. West window has two ogee-headed lights with
blank sheilds in the central spandrels, square-headed and with casement-
moulding. North chapel: diagonal buttresses with set-offs at the eastern
corners. East wall, has a window of 3 transomed lights with a 4-centred
head. Cinquefoil cusping under the transoms and cinquefoil ogee heads to
the lights with panel tracery over. Label with head stops. North wall has
a similar window. South porch, 1883, has a reset C15 archway with an ogee-
moulded four-centred head with continuous jambs. Interior: Chancel-arch,
C15, has moulded and panelled responds and soffit, two panels wide, with
trefoiled heads to the panels. The base mouldings of the responds have
been cut back to form vertical surfaces. Roofs: C19 construction. Font,
stone octagonal bowl with panel on each face, bossed underside, stem and
base, C15. Brasses, reset in chancel and in north chapel, C16. Communion
rails, C17. Communion table, C17. Bible, black-letter of c 1630, north
chapel. Pulpit, hexagonal with fielded-panels and sounding-board, early C18.
Monuments and floor-slabs. Canopied table-tomb, ascribed to William Long,
1524. (RCHM). Stone slabs and tablets to Hoskyns family, C17 and C18.
Hatchment, with arms of Hoskyns impaling Seymer, dated 1694. (RCHM, Dorset III,
Listing NGR: ST6960117590
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings