This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9501 / 50°57'0"N
Longitude: -2.5784 / 2°34'42"W
OS Eastings: 359463
OS Northings: 116895
OS Grid: ST594168
Mapcode National: GBR MR.NGKW
Mapcode Global: FRA 56HL.M90
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 31 July 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1119361
English Heritage Legacy ID: 105634
Location: Over Compton, West Dorset, Dorset, DT9
District: West Dorset
Civil Parish: Over Compton
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Over Compton and Nether Compton St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 5816-5916 COMPTON PARK
14/92 Parish Church of
31.7.61 St Michael
Parish Church. Nave rebuilt C15. West tower, early C15. North chapel
(Goodden pew) added in 1776 by Robert Goodden. He extensively restored
the church in 1821-2, adding the north vestry and the baptistery. Chancel
extensively restored in 1877. Ashlar stone walls. Clay-tile roofs (nave),
and stone slate roof (chancel). Stone gable-copings with rolls. Nave has
C15 windows, each of 3 cinquefoiled lights in a square head, with a label
and returned stops; the eastern window of the south wall has head-stops.
West tower, of 3 stages with an embattled parapet, pinnacles and gargoyles.
West doorway has moulded jambs and 4-centred arch in a square head, with a
label and head-stops of a king and bishop. The west window is of 3 cinque-
foiled ogee lights with vertical tracery in a pointed-arch head, moulded
reveals and a label. The bell-chamber has in each wall, a window of 2
cinquefoiled lights with a quatrefoil in a 2-centred head, with a label.
Chancel, rebuilt C19. Dressed stone walls with massive buttresses and
set-offs. Stone slate roof with stone gable-coping and cross at apex.
East window, of 3 lights with trefoil-cusped heads and panel-tracery over.
Returned label. South doorway has moulded jambs and pointed head with
label. Plank-and-muntin door. North chapel, roughcast walls and clay-
tiled roof, coped. Buttresses on the east side. North windows, of 3
lights with cinquefoil ogival cusping and panel tracery over, great
casement moulding and separate label. North vestry, off chancel, C19,
with pointed north doorway and plank-and-muntin door. South chapel, rough-
cast walls and tile roof with stone coping. 2-light window, trefoil-cusped
and quatrefoil in head. Interior: roofs have compartmented barrel-vaults
with carved call bosses at the intersections, stone angel corbels, C15.
Fittings: Font, octagonal bowl with quatrefoil panels, initials and date
N. B., C, W. 1620 on rim. Pulpit hexagonal with moulded framing and
enriched cornice panelled sides, C17, and reader's pew, C17. Monuments:
in north chapel to Goodden family, notably to Robert Goodden 1828, white
marble standing figure on a pedestal, possibly by Flaxman. To Robert Goodden,
1764, and Abigail his wife, erected by their son Robert in 1777, black-and-
white marble wall monument. Numerous monuments to Gooddens and Bicknells in
north chapel and south chapel (baptistery). Five hatchments in N. chapel and
nave. Communion table, with turned legs and enriched top rails, C17.
(RCHM, Dorset i, p 103(1)).
Listing NGR: ST5945816895
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings