This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9781 / 50°58'41"N
Longitude: -2.4996 / 2°29'58"W
OS Eastings: 365019
OS Northings: 119972
OS Grid: ST650199
Mapcode National: GBR MV.LQHX
Mapcode Global: FRA 56NJ.G06
Entry Name: Parish Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 31 July 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1119366
English Heritage Legacy ID: 105649
Location: Poyntington, West Dorset, Dorset, DT9
District: West Dorset
Civil Parish: Poyntington
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Poyntington All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 61 NE POYNTINGTON VILLAGE
6/107 Parish Church of All Saints
Parish Church. C12 nave walling, C14 south aisle, north porch, west tower,
with top stage added in C15. Chancel with south vestry rebuilt 1863. Tower
again restored in 1905-6. Local rubble walls, with freestone dressings.
Clay-tile roofs to nave and chancel. Nave: square C14 buttress at junction
with chancel. Eastern window, C14, of 2 trefoiled lights with a quatrefoil
in a 2-centred head with a label. C16 middle window is of 3 three-centred
lights in a square head. C14 west window has a trefoil in the head. The
north doorway has a square-headed inner, and a plain semi-circular outer
order, with moulded label. Jamb-shafts with moulded bases and volute
capitals. Plain tympanum. North porch, C14, with two-centred outer archway
of 2 orders. West tower, two stages, with a plain parapet, gargoyles and
turret rising above the parapet. West window is of 3 trefoiled ogee lights
with reticulated tracery in a two-centred head with a label. Bell-chamber
has in each wall an early C15 window of 2 trefoiled lights with a trefoil
in a 2-centred head, with a label. South aisle, C14, has an early C16 east
window of four triangular-headed lights in a square head. The south wall
has 2 partly restored C14 2-light windows with square heads. The south
doorway has C14 jambs of 2 moulded orders, with the 4-centred arch a later
alteration. West wall has an early C14 window of two pointed lights in a
pointed head. Chancel has a polygonal east end. North wall has two 2-light
trefoiled lancets with quatrefoil in head. Keeled label over with head-stops.
Windows round the apse have trefoils and spherical triangles in the heads.
Polygonal south vestry off south wall of the chancel. Continuous string
under the chancel windows. Interior: nave roof late C15 of segmental barrel
form with moulded ribs forming 5 bays each of 4 panels. The intersections
have foliated bosses, and the moulded plates have carved paterae. C15 roof
of the south aisle is of pent form, and compartmented with moulded beams.
Below the wall-plates are 7 C14 head-corbels. Chancel: the windows have
Purbeck nook-shafts with foliage capitals and abaci, cusped reve-arches,
filled with roll and ball flower ornament in the hollows. C19 piscina and
carved credence shelf. Fittings: font, tapering cylindrical bowl, with
band of cable-ornament, C12. Piscinae: two of the C14 in nave and south
aisle. Recesses, for tombs, in south aisle, two with moulded jambs,
cinquefoiled 4-centred arches and defaced labels, C14. Monuments and
floor-slabs, C17 and C18. Seating: pews with moulded styles and tops, C17.
(RCHM, Dorset I, p 186.(1)).
Listing NGR: ST6501819972
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings