This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9454 / 50°56'43"N
Longitude: -2.5048 / 2°30'17"W
OS Eastings: 364630
OS Northings: 116341
OS Grid: ST646163
Mapcode National: GBR MV.NP7H
Mapcode Global: FRA 56NL.S16
Entry Name: The Stables, 300 Metres West-South-West of Sherborne Castle
Listing Date: 7 November 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1119381
English Heritage Legacy ID: 105575
Location: Castleton, West Dorset, Dorset, DT9
District: West Dorset
Civil Parish: Castleton
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Sherborne with Castleton Abbey Church of St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
The Stables, 300 metres
7.11.51 west-south-west of
Stables. Dated 1759 (north range, and 15 metres return of the side ranges).
Side ranges extended to south in early C19. Walls to courtyard are of Ham
Hill ashlar, the others are of coursed stone with ashlar quoins. Slate roofs.
The stone stacks on west range. 3 stone stacks on east range. Buildings round
3 sides of a square, fourth being bounded by dwarf walls with wrought-iron
railings and a central gateway with wrought iron piers crowned with ostriches.
Two storeys. 9 bays on north; east and west sides (as when extended). North
range: window-door-window-window-door-window-window-door-window. Two light
stone mullioned-and-transomed windows with cornice-labels to the ground floor.
Two-light stone-mullioned windows to the first floor. Original leaded lights.
Central doorway has a moulded architrave, containing two stone-mullioned lights
over the door, and pedimented over. C19 recess-panelled doors. Other doorways
of similar design, without the pediment. Clock over central doorway.
Continuous arcading carried over the openings in the side range. End gables to
south have 2-light mullion-and-transom window, pedimented, with a 2-light
mullion window over, and a roundel in the gable. Interior: original staircase
with continuous string, turned balusters and moulded handrail. The stable
fittings have cast-iron columns supporting semi-circular arcading with roundels
in the soffits containing ostriches.
(RCHM Dorset I, p.69(5)).
Listing NGR: ST6463016341
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings