This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.811 / 50°48'39"N
Longitude: -2.0318 / 2°1'54"W
OS Eastings: 397853
OS Northings: 101268
OS Grid: ST978012
Mapcode National: GBR 31K.33Q
Mapcode Global: FRA 66MY.J8J
Entry Name: Kingston Lacy House
Listing Date: 18 March 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1119511
English Heritage Legacy ID: 107207
Location: Pamphill, East Dorset, Dorset, BH21
District: East Dorset
Civil Parish: Pamphill
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Kingston Lacy St Stephen
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
Kingston Lacey House
ST 90 SE 3/9 18.3.55
A large house built between 1663 and 1665 by Sir Ralph Barker. Architect
Sir Roger Pratt. Altered circa 1835, Architect Charles Barry. Ashlar stone
walls, hipped lead roof with dentil cornice and central balustraded flat
surmounted by a cupola. Compact rectangular plan. Two storeys plus basement
and attics. Basement walls rusticated - rusticated quoins to upper storeys.
Entrance in north front - ground here lowered to give three full storeys.
Projecting centre bay with pediment containing carved coat of arms. Portico,
at basement level, with rusticated arches, Tuscan pilasters, and balustraded
parapet, with carved lions at angles. Basement has eight casement windows with
glazing bars. Ground and first floors each have nine double-hung sash windows
with glazing bars in moulded surrounds. Attic has two dormers with curved
pediments south (garden) front, of two storeys and attics. Projecting centre
bay. Ground and first floors each have nine double-hung sash windows with
glazing bars in moulded stone surrounds, that in centre of ground floor with
pediment. Attic has large central balustraded dormer with three round-headed
openings divided by pilasters, with balustraded aprons. Also two dormers as
on north front. Attached raised terrace with balustrade and stone runs.
Attached service range on west of house, C18,has brick walls and slate roofs,
with timber bell turret. Casement windows with lead lights.
Internally, most features C18 or circa 1835. White marble staircase with turned
balusters and sculptured frieze. Ornamental ceiling with painting attributed to
Giorgione. Library has ceiling painting by Guido Reni. Dining room has panelling
with tapestry panels and ornamental plaster ceiling. Ground salon - the full
height of the house has barrel vaulted ceiling with painted decoration. Spanish
dining room has pointings - School of Veronese.
RCHM Monument 4.
Listing NGR: ST9785601267
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings