History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John

A Grade II Listed Building in Stanwix Rural, Cumbria

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.9279 / 54°55'40"N

Longitude: -2.8628 / 2°51'45"W

OS Eastings: 344808

OS Northings: 559586

OS Grid: NY448595

Mapcode National: GBR 8CGG.08

Mapcode Global: WH7ZY.0D2K

Entry Name: Church of St John

Listing Date: 1 April 1957

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1119613

English Heritage Legacy ID: 77663

Location: Stanwix Rural, Carlisle, Cumbria, CA6

County: Cumbria

District: Carlisle

Civil Parish: Stanwix Rural

Traditional County: Cumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Crosby-on-Eden St John the Evangelist

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Warwick

Listing Text

STANWIX RURAL LOW CROSBY
NY 45 NW

5/82 Church of St John
1. 4.57.
II

Church. 1854 by R.H. Billings, totally replacing medieval church on same site.
Dressed red sandstone, graduated slate roof. 2½ storey tower, 4 bay nave,
single bay chancel. West tower has moulded plinth course continued round entire
building: entrance has pointed arch with crocket open pediment and trefoil
tympanum: string course, lancets with curvilinear tracery. Short spire has
crocket edges and 4 lucarnes finished with central pinnacle. Projecting stair
tower in south wall. Nave has pointed windows of 2 lights with curvilinear
tracery heads and continuous drip moulding. Chancel has steeply pitched roof on
north side to cover vestry. Interior has original pews with end doors; oak
carved pulpit; carved oak lecturn; Norman font from the original church, with
square base, rounded stem, square bowl with chamfered edges. Rear gallery on
cantilever arches, with oak balustrade and handrail. Roof on semicircular
arched braces. Windows have squared leaded lights with cut or moulded glass
heads and internal segmental rear arches with lacy tracery. A number of white
warble wall plaques. The Post Office Directory of Cumberland & Westmorland,
1858, p.152, suggests that the new church was partly built with stone from the
Roman Wall.


Listing NGR: NY4480859586

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.