History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St James

A Grade II Listed Building in Standon, Staffordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9126 / 52°54'45"N

Longitude: -2.2486 / 2°14'54"W

OS Eastings: 383379

OS Northings: 335043

OS Grid: SJ833350

Mapcode National: GBR 15D.G9X

Mapcode Global: WHBDC.F1GZ

Entry Name: Church of St James

Listing Date: 9 March 1998

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1119662

English Heritage Legacy ID: 469133

Location: Standon, Stafford, Staffordshire, ST21

County: Staffordshire

District: Stafford

Civil Parish: Standon

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Swynnerton and Cotes Heath

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Standon

Listing Text

SJ83NW ECCLESHALL COTES HEATH

953/4/10033 Church of St James

II

Anglican church. 1837-38, with a chancel of 1891 by C. Lynam. Of coursed sandstone, the church retains its original plain tile roof and ridge tiles. In plan it is reminiscent of eighteenth-century examples, with a rectangular, unaisled, 3-bay nave, south porch and north vestry; it has a bellcote to the west end and crosses to the east ends of nave and chancel. The south porch has a pointed arched entrance and pointed plank doors within with decorative ironwork (the doors were added to celebrate Queen Victoria's Jubilee in 1897). There are two 3-cusped-light, straight-headed windows to each side, and this design has been repeated to the east end; to the west is a 3-light mullion and transom window, and the north vestry has a 2-light mullion window, all with chamfered mullions, hoodmoulds and coloured glass, the East window is a memorial to the First World War with glass by J.Wipp...Ltd. Of Exeter and London. Internally, the nave roof has three queen post trusses with braces and extended sole plate on corbels and exposed purlins. A chamfered, pointed arch leads to the chancel which has a decorative tile floor and roof with collar beam and carved braces to principal rafters, on corbels, otherwise exposed rafters and one level of purlins. The furnishings remain to the nave, which has a Neo Norman font and simple benches, and chancel which retains its traceried altar rails. The church was erected in memory of Theodosia Hincks (benefactor) and Henry Moore, Vicar of Eccleshall (1822-57) and Archdeacon of Stafford. -

Listing NGR: SJ8337935043

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.