This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.8945 / 54°53'40"N
Longitude: -2.9337 / 2°56'1"W
OS Eastings: 340209
OS Northings: 555931
OS Grid: NY402559
Mapcode National: GBR 7CYV.N7
Mapcode Global: WH802.X74M
Entry Name: The Apple Tree
Listing Date: 6 May 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1119685
English Heritage Legacy ID: 469182
Location: Carlisle, Cumbria, CA3
Electoral Ward/Division: Castle
Built-Up Area: Carlisle
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Carlisle St Cuthbert with St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
NY 4055 NW
LOWTHER STREET (west side)
The Apple Tree
(Formerly listed as Pippins)
Alternatively known as: Apple Tree Inn, LOWTHER STREET.
Public House. 1925, with late C20 alterations. By Harry Redfern, architect for the State Management Scheme in Carlisle ('The Carlisle Undertaking'). Red brick, with sandstone and terracotta dressings, and a Lake District slate roof covering.
PLAN: U-shape, with small rear yard now infilled.
EXTERIOR: FRONT ELEVATION (east): 2 storey and attics, 5-bay front with end bays expressed as slightly advanced towards towers of 3-storeys. Ground floor entrance frontage, with double doorways to outer and centre bays, the latter flanked by large square window openings with tripartite frames. Either side of the windows are double pilasters rising from a deep plinth, supporting a frieze, all of pale terracotta, as are the door surrounds of the doorways to the end towers. First floor with 5 tall stone mullion and transom windows with ashlar aprons and lintels which form part of an eaves band to the central 3 bays, below a mansard roof with 3, 3-light wedge dormer windows. Gablets to tower heads each with a 5-light mullioned window within ashlar walling.
SIDE ELEVATION (south): separate side entrances to former mixed and women's bars, the former 2 bays wide and of 2 storeys, the latter lower, and with a pedimented door head.
INTERIOR: ground floor altered and remodelled with late C20 bar counter and back bar, in central island location of original. First floor retains original plan form with central bar counter serving former 'mixed 1st class' and 'mens first class' areas. The later is lit by clerestory lights, and is decorated throughout with painted friezes and murals depicting mythological scenes. There are panelled bar counters, overlights with glazing bars, wall panelling, cast-iron fireplace with moulded surround and overmantel panel, with flanking doorway to original toilet area. The mixed 1st class area has fabric-faced panelling which incorporates a 3-light timber mullioned window to light service stair, and a hearth with surround and overmantel panelling. Mullion and transom windows have leaded lights incorporating apple tree motif in upper lights. Panelled bar with overlights and half-glazed doors giving access to main stair with gate restricting access to attic floor.
HISTORY: the 'Carlisle Undertaking' was the most important of the 3 schemes of complete Government control of the supply of intoxicants introduced in 1916. The State Management Board appointed Harry Redfern as its principal architect, and he produced schemes for the remodelling of existing public houses, and designs for 'improved' houses, of which 'The Apple Tree' was the first. Despite interior alterations at ground floor level, the building remains a significant example of the work of the State Management Scheme in Carlisle, which influenced the design of 'improved' public houses throughout Britain in the Inter-War period. The survival of the first floor plan, furnishings and fittings is of particular significance as such provision was regarded as experimental at the time, providing for segregated areas for different combinations of sexes and social classes.
Bibliography: The Renaissance of the English Public House (Basil Oliver). 1947, Page(s) 63-65
Listing NGR: NY4020955931
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings