This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6602 / 51°39'36"N
Longitude: -0.9995 / 0°59'58"W
OS Eastings: 469301
OS Northings: 196187
OS Grid: SU693961
Mapcode National: GBR B1S.S5N
Mapcode Global: VHDVT.MJGN
Entry Name: The Summer House (The Orangery)
Listing Date: 15 December 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1119718
English Heritage Legacy ID: 469216
Location: Shirburn, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX49
District: South Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Shirburn
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Pyrton and Shirburn
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SU69NE SHIIRBURN SHIRBURN CASTLE
1696/4/10002 The Summer House
Orangery. Circa 1720 to 1740s. Ashlar front; brick rear wall and lead semi-domical roof. Semi-circular on plan with Roman Doric tetrastyle portico on front with triglyph frieze and pediment with acroteria. Large 3-stage sashes between the columns with small panes. INTERIOR: Walls plastered.
NOTE: The Orangery was built possibly by Sir Thomas Parker, First Earl of Macclesfield, or by his son George, the Second Earl, in the 1730s or 1740s.
Listing NGR: SU6966095976
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings