This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.2747 / 51°16'28"N
Longitude: 0.1663 / 0°9'58"E
OS Eastings: 551201
OS Northings: 155062
OS Grid: TQ512550
Mapcode National: GBR MN3.0VG
Mapcode Global: VHHPR.T7S6
Entry Name: Montreal Park Obelisk in Garden of Number 81
Listing Date: 27 April 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1119727
English Heritage Legacy ID: 469248
Location: Riverhead, Sevenoaks, Kent, TN13
Civil Parish: Riverhead
Built-Up Area: Sevenoaks
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Riverhead St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
TQ55 NW RIVERHEAD MARLBOROUGH CRESCENT
Montreal Park Obelisk
(In garden of number 81)
Obelisk. Erected c1764 by General Amherst and his two brothers to commemorate their part in the North American campaigns which led, by the vanquishing of the French in Montreal, to all Canada falling into British hands. Kentish ragstone obelisk having plinth with cornice and incised marble panels recording General Amherst's victories all set on ragstone base. Inscription on four panels reads :
Dedicated to that most able Statesman during whose
administration Cape Breton and Canada were conquered and
from whose influence the British Arms derived a Degree of
Lustre unparallel'd in past Ages.
Fort Levi surrendered 25th August, 1760.
Isle of Noix abandoned 28th August, 1760.
Montreal surrendered and with it all Canada and
10 French Battalians lay'd down their arms 8th September, 1760.
St. John's, Newfoundland re-taken 18th September, 1762.
Louisburg surrendered and six French Battalions prisoners
of War, 26th July, 1758.
Fort du Quesne taken possession of 24th November, 1758.
Niagara surrendered 25th July, 1759.
Crown Point taken possession of 4th August, 1759.
Quebec capitulated 18th September, 1759
To commemorate the providential and happy meeting
of three Brothers on this, their Paternal Ground on the
25th January, 1764 after a six years glorious War in which
the three were successfully engaged in various Climes,
Seasons and Services.
The main house, Montreal, no longer exists.
[See Pevsner BOE West Kent and the Weald p469.]
Listing NGR: TQ5119855110
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 30 November 2016.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings