This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6472 / 52°38'49"N
Longitude: -1.1308 / 1°7'50"W
OS Eastings: 458907
OS Northings: 305848
OS Grid: SK589058
Mapcode National: GBR FHD.BY
Mapcode Global: WHDJB.LQRG
Entry Name: Gate and Gatepiers at Abbey Park
Listing Date: 15 December 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1119733
English Heritage Legacy ID: 469255
Location: Leicester, LE4
County: City of Leicester
Unitary Authority Ward: Abbey
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Leicester The Abbey
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
SK 5805 LEICESTER ABBEY PARK ROAD
(south west side)
718/4/10094 Gate and Gatepiers at
Gates and gatepiers with attached wall and railings. 1882. Designed by James Tait. Red brick with ashlar dressings and wrought iron railings and gates. Central brick gatepier square with ashlar chamfered corners and moulded ashlar plinth. Upper section has single ogee headed Gothic canopy with pinnacles to both road and park fronts. Topped with blind ashlar battlements and ashlar ogee cap with ornate finial. Either side a pair of wrought iron gates with alternate spears topped with fleur-de-lys. Beyond single arched pedestrian gates between square brick gatepiers with ashlar plinths; quoins and caps. Moulded segmental linking arch topped with battlements. Inner gatepiers topped with late C20 iron lamps. Either side low brick walls with brick and ashlar chamfered caps and plain wrought iron. railings, in serpentine curves approximately 30 metres long terminating at either end in square brick piers with moulded ashlar caps decorated with double battlements. These railings and gates were erected as the main entrance to Abbey Park laid out by Barron & Son after a competition held in 1870. The park was opened in 1882.
Listing NGR: SK5890705848
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings