This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.4868 / 52°29'12"N
Longitude: -1.908 / 1°54'28"W
OS Eastings: 406346
OS Northings: 287656
OS Grid: SP063876
Mapcode National: GBR 5Y6.MF
Mapcode Global: VH9YW.WR6H
Entry Name: 27-32, Mary Street
Listing Date: 13 May 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1119747
English Heritage Legacy ID: 469270
Location: Birmingham, B3
Electoral Ward/Division: Ladywood
Built-Up Area: Birmingham
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands
Church of England Parish: Birmingham St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Birmingham
SP 08 NE BIRMINGHAM MARY STREET
997/7/10191 Numbers 27-32 (consec.)
2 workshop ranges with house and workshops adjoining and attached walls and privies. Nos 27-28 built 1818 as house and shops' by James Kimberley, speculative builder and property owner; Nos 29 - 32 built in 1823 as shops' by Kimberley; with later additions and alterations including those of 1844 and restorations c1970. Numbered right to left, described left to right.
Pinkish-red brick in stretcher bond, colourwashed to ground floor of right-hand range and chamfered purple brick sills, with stucco scored in imitation of ashlar to front facade of house at right, with slate roofs to workshop ranges, otherwise artificial slate; windows have cast-iron glazing bars. Brick left and central ridge stacks to right-hand workshop range and left end stack to house at right, and off-centre rear stack to workshop range behind. Brick privies with slate roofs and brick boundary walls. PLAN: workshop ranges of 2 storeys 8 and 7 first-floor windows, stepped down between ranges following gradient of street, and with pair of privies to right at rear; house at right of 3 storeys, 2 first-floor windows and with 2-storey, 2 first-floor window workshop range and privies to rear, and rear boundary wall. WORKSHOP RANGES: windows throughout are multi-paned with radial glazing bars to heads in round-arched surrounds with two rows of headers to arches and plain reveals. Entrances: that to left now has double part-glazed doors; the central entrance to through passage has plank door and open fanlight with radial glazing bars, similar round arch over; then original round-arched opening interrupted by double plank doors; further entrance to centre of right-hand range has renewed 6-panel door with fanlight with radial glazing bars. Rear has casement windows in elliptically-arched openings and with plain reveals. Pair of privies with plank doors to right. HOUSE: stone step to central entrance a 4-panel door in pilastered surround with frieze and hood. Ground and first floors have 3/3 sashes, those to ground floor in elliptically-arched openings; second floor has 4/4 sashes; all in plain reveals and with sills. Rear has central entrance, a panelled door. Rear workshop range has plank door to ground and first floors; renewed tripartite casement windows, those to ground floor under elliptical arches. Pair of privies have plank doors. INTERIORS: workshop ranges have plain, undivided interiors with exposed king post tie-beam trusses to first floor. House noted as retaining original joinery including plank, 4- and 6-panelled doors and plank panelling to dado height to ground-floor room at left. BOUNDARY WALL at right, approximately 2 metres in height. HISTORICAL NOTE: the house and workshops have been in almost continuous use by craftsmen and artisans in Birmingham's toy' trade since built. No. 28: 1818 - 1833 occupied by George Wyon, modeller, chaser and repairer; 1845 - 1847: John Smith, jeweller; 1854: by Joseph Cotton, jeweller; 1869: Joseph Carter, die sinker; 1876: Richard William Turner, electroplate manufacturer; 1883: William Sheppard, electroplate manufacturer; 1943: G. And E. Davies, jewellers. No.29: 1839 - 1842: William Capnor, gilt and plated button manufacturer; 1845 - 1871: Charles James Phillips, brass founder and lamp manufacturer; by 1876 No.29 was in multiple occupancy by Pepper and Stevenson, die sinkers; William Mitchell and James Davis, jewellers; Maximilian L'Hote, machine belcherer; Joseph Orme, iron plate worker; Edward Jarvis, Samuel Hales and Frank Vernon, engravers; Robert Davis, watch escarpment maker; Harry Hannaford, printer; Thomas Whitcomb and Thomas Wolley, electro-plate manufacturers.
The Birmingham Parish Map of c1876 suggests that the workshops and houses were all designated as No.28.
An early example of a building group once typical of Birmingham's jewellery quarter but now increasingly rare. The early date and unaltered condition of the buildings makes them particularly significant both locally and nationally. Unused and unoccupied at time of inspection. Sources: Rate Book for St. Paul's District; Post Office Directory, Johnes's Directory, Pigot's Directory, Shadler's Directory, White's Directory, Wrightson's Directory.
Listing NGR: SP0633987649
Other nearby listed buildings