History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Methodist Chapel

A Grade II Listed Building in Marwood, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1155 / 51°6'55"N

Longitude: -4.0744 / 4°4'27"W

OS Eastings: 254900

OS Northings: 137180

OS Grid: SS549371

Mapcode National: GBR KQ.B1MR

Mapcode Global: VH4MR.B7D6

Entry Name: Methodist Chapel

Listing Date: 29 May 1998

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1119759

English Heritage Legacy ID: 469288

Location: Marwood, North Devon, Devon, EX31

County: Devon

District: North Devon

Civil Parish: Marwood

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Marwood St Michael and All Angels

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Marwood

Listing Text

SS53NW MARWOOD

Methodist Chapel
300/4/10002
II

Methodist chapel. 1872, by Alexander Lauder of Barnstaple. Polychromatic stone with freestone dressings. Banded slate roof with coped gables and crested ridge tiles.
PLAN: Auditorium has 2-bay north and south transepts with galleries, and with polygonal stair towers in the western angles of the transepts, and porches on the north and south sides of the stair towers. In 1975 a Sunday school extension was built on the east end.
Victorian Gothic style.
EXTERIOR: The west gable end of the auditorium has a large 4-light Geometric tracery window, diagonal buttresses, and two cusped lancets on the north and south sides. To the east of the north and south sides there are twin gabled transepts, each with two cusped lancets and with Geometric traceried windows above; in the angles to the west are squat polygonal stair towers with broaches, lancets and hipped roofs; on the north and south sides of the stair towers there are gabled porches with pointed arches and diagonal buttresses. On the east end there is a pointed arch window in the gable and a large brick Sunday school extension of 1975.
INTERIOR: Pews intact. Arcaded rostrum with colonnettes. Communion rail. The transepts each have two chamfered pointed arches containing galleries with wrought-iron fronts. Stairs to galleries with panelled balustrades and stop-chamfered newels with finials. Open timber roofs.
SOURCE: Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting Houses, South West England: RCHME; p.87.

Listing NGR: SS5490037180

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.