This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6228 / 52°37'21"N
Longitude: -1.1357 / 1°8'8"W
OS Eastings: 458606
OS Northings: 303129
OS Grid: SK586031
Mapcode National: GBR FGP.7P
Mapcode Global: WHDJJ.JBFN
Entry Name: 2 and 2a, Sawday Street
Listing Date: 18 June 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1119770
English Heritage Legacy ID: 469324
Location: Leicester, LE2
County: City of Leicester
Electoral Ward/Division: Saffron
Built-Up Area: Leicester
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Leicester The Holy Spirit
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
SK 5803 LEICESTER SAWDAY STREET
718/9/10088 Numbers 2 and 2A
Rectory, now house and flat. 1911, converted c1980. Designed by Stockdale Harrison of Leicester. Red brick with ashlar dressings and tile patterning. Steep bell-canted Swithland slate roofs with plain gables and tiled kneelers. 3 large plain brick stacks. High quality cast-iron rainwater furniture. PLAN: L-plan. EXTEPIOR: 2 storey plus attics. Glazing bar casement windows throughout. South garden front has 2 window front. 2 wooden canted bay windows linked by continuous flat lead roof with between 2 glazed doors with segment heads, rounded jambs and ornate curved wooden brackets supporting linking roof. Continuous tile band at lintel level. Above 2 large 3-light cross casements with flat tiled hoods and tile band, above 2 brick and tile hoods. Above in 2 tall gables single 2-light casements with hoods and patterned tiling in upper gables. Central ornate lead rainwater hopper, dated 1911, and downpipe. Set back to right single storey wing with single 3-light cross casement. Above tile band. North entrance front has irregular fenestration with projecting service wing to right. To left projecting 2 storey gabled porch with ashlar moulded 4-centred arched doorway with lintel dated, 1911. Inner doorway has Tudor style door. Above 3-light casement with tile cill band and tile hood, chequered tile patterning to upper gable. Set back to left single storey wing with single casement window. Set back to right 2 similar windows with low eaves hood and above single raking dormer window with 2-light casement. Beyond to right 3 storey gabled stair-turret with high set 3-light casement window with tile cill and lintel bands. Projecting service wing to right has east front with large 3-light cross casement with smaller lights below. Above tiny casement with cill band. Remaining facade blank. North front of projecting wing has single window gabled front with plain buttresses at either corner. To right single doorway with segment head and service gate beyond, to left single 3-light window with tile hood. Above large cross-casement with tile hood and cill bands. Upper gable has chequered tile patterning. INTEPIOR: retains original plaster coving, wooden skirting, doors and door surrounds. Original main dog-leg staircase with barley sugar balusters. 3 original wooden fireplaces survive with coloured tile inserts, the hallway retains unusual tile fireplace. Single cast-iron Art Nouveau style fireplace on top floor. No 2A has inserted modern staircase.
Listing NGR: SK5860603129
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings