This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4103 / 51°24'37"N
Longitude: -0.8276 / 0°49'39"W
OS Eastings: 481633
OS Northings: 168570
OS Grid: SU816685
Mapcode National: GBR D7R.FL9
Mapcode Global: VHDX2.LTT7
Entry Name: Westcott Infant School
Listing Date: 24 June 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1119793
English Heritage Legacy ID: 469349
Location: Wokingham, Wokingham, RG40
Civil Parish: Wokingham
Built-Up Area: Wokingham
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire
Church of England Parish: Wokingham
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SU 86 NW WOKINGHAM GOODCHILD ROAD
1886/10/10010 Wescott Infant School
Alternatively known as: SCHOOL ROAD (west side).
School, with two play-ground shelters. Opened 1906; later C20 alterations. By Edmund Fisher (London). Red brick in English bond with pebble-dash render; plain tile roof with corniced brick stacks. 1 storey with partial 2nd floor and cellar. H plan, having 4 parallel gabled ranges with transverse roof at centre, presenting 4 x 4-bay elevations. In Arts and Crafts style, having: plinth; wide corner pilasters with deep dentilled cornices; side-bays defined by quoined brick strips; half-glazed doors with glazing bars below fanlights with radial glazing bars; wooden windows with architraves and sashes of 12, 15, or 18 panes, and some large mullion-and-transom windows of paired or tripled sashes with 9-pane windows over; some oculi with radial glazing bars and keyed brick architraves; tile cill strings; moulded barge-boards; flat-roofed dormers with 2-light, 12-pane windows. Principal (south-east) elevation: outer bays each have 3 windows with oculus over and porch to inner return with entrance to return and small side-window; inner bays have 3 windows, larger at centre, and at roof-crossing over each is a louvred wooden cupola with leaded dome and ball finial. 3 chimneys to right side, one to left side, and one between left-hand bays. Rear similar, the outer bays with cambered brick arches to ground-floor windows, the left bay masked by flat-roofed single-storey addition, and with Ipswich window to gable. At centre, narrow window below gabled tile-hung bellcote on shaped wooden brackets with small bell. Returns each have two central gabled bays with larger, transomed, windows flanked by narrow windows. Interior: light and airy. At the centre, there were originally movable partitions to allow use either as class-room or as a larger hall (now used as dining hall). Many of the original fittings remain, including part-glazed doors; part-glazed partitions in central area; parquet floors; class-room cupboards (some doors removed) and wall-mounted black-boards with side-cupboards; old radiators; dog-leg stair up to 2nd-floor room; fireplace with decorative metal grate in this room and to present staff-room. In playground to rear are two contemporary shelters: red brick in Flemish bond with 1940s pink-brick sections at sides of front wall; mono-pitch roofs with corrugated sheeting. Each 1 storey, 6 bays. Open-fronted having timber posts on chamfered padstones and arch braces to wall-plate. Inside each is a bracketed wooden bench along rear wall. A well-designed and executed early-C20 school in the Arts and Crafts style.
Listing NGR: SU8163368570
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings