This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.7164 / 50°42'58"N
Longitude: -2.4261 / 2°25'33"W
OS Eastings: 370016
OS Northings: 90833
OS Grid: SY700908
Mapcode National: GBR PY.RJXM
Mapcode Global: FRA 57T5.STK
Entry Name: Grey's Bridge
Listing Date: 10 March 1987
Last Amended: 30 June 2015
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1119862
English Heritage Legacy ID: 106333
Location: Stinsford, West Dorset, Dorset, DT1
District: West Dorset
Civil Parish: Stinsford
Built-Up Area: Dorchester (West Dorset)
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Stinsford St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
A mid-C18 bridge spanning the River Frome between the civil parish boundaries of Dorchester and Stinsford.
A road bridge of 1748 date, widened in 1927.
MATERIALS: ashlar stone and reinforced concrete.
DESCRIPTION: the bridge is of three unequal spans, each with a round arch with moulded archivolts. They spring from restored, pointed cutwaters. The central arch is widest (c.12ft). There is a double plat-band above the arches, at road level. The name and date are incised in contemporary lettering in an original tablet set in the parapet wall: GREYS BRIDGE 1748. The plain parapet wall has weathered coping and square returned wing walls over the abutments. The parapets are stepped out each end to form pedestrian refuges. The widened section is built of reinforced concrete and re-faced in the original stonework.
Constructed in 1748, the bridge carries London Road over the River Frome to replace Stockham or Stocking Bridge, which stood a few hundred feet to the north. It was built with an endowment from Mrs Lora Pitt (nee Grey) of Kingston Maurward (qv). Two metal plaques were recorded as fixed to the parapets in 1987. One was an example of a ‘Transportation’ plate commonly fixed to bridges in Dorset during the reign of George IV, which threatened transportation for life for anyone found guilty of wilfully damaging the bridge. The other indicated that the bridge was probably repaired in 1835. The bridge was widened on the downstream side by 6ft in 1927. It is named and featured in Far From the Madding Crowd (1874) and The Mayor of Casterbridge (1886) by Thomas Hardy.
Grey’s Bridge, Dorset, of mid-C18 date, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Architectural interest: it is a neatly-made structure with well-constructed arches to the spans, and deep, pointed cutwaters with contemporary refuges;
* Cultural: as the location of key events in both Far From the Madding Crowd (1874) and The Mayor of Casterbridge (1886) by Thomas Hardy.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings