This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.6081 / 50°36'29"N
Longitude: -1.9626 / 1°57'45"W
OS Eastings: 402745
OS Northings: 78711
OS Grid: SZ027787
Mapcode National: GBR 459.W2M
Mapcode Global: FRA 67SG.F81
Entry Name: United Reformed Church
Listing Date: 26 June 1952
Last Amended: 21 March 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1119896
English Heritage Legacy ID: 108192
Location: Swanage, Purbeck, Dorset, BH19
Civil Parish: Swanage
Built-Up Area: Swanage
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Swanage St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
United Reformed Church
(formerly listed as
SZ 0278 5/66 26.6.52
Original building of 1837. Designed by "Mr George Gollop of Poole" (RCHM). Large
extension to east built 1901-2, designed by Tom Stevens of Bournemouth (Pevsner).
The original building is of Purbeck Stone rubble, with a central projecting section
in ashlar. Roof concealed behind parapet. The projecting centre section has 2 doors
on the ground floor, with semi-circular heads. These are carved with the dates -
Built 1705, and Rebuilt 1837, respectively. First floor has a semi-circular headed
window. The side sections have double-hung sash windows on the ground and first
floors. Internally, this building retains its panelled gallery round 3 sides - carried
on cast iron columns. It is now used as a Hall. The Pulpit from this building has
been re-used in the newer extension - see below. At the rear of the original Church,
at a lower level, is the old Schoolroom. - believed to be one of the earliest day
schools in Swanage. Simple panelling to the walls. The later building is of Purbeck
Stone, and is in a Gothic Revival style. The main south front, facing High Street,
has the centre "nave" section projecting beyond the "aisles", which end in single-
storey porches with parapets. The centre section has a 4-light square-headed traceried
window on the ground floor, and above this a large Perpendicular style window. The
building is set back in a forecourt with stone paving, which has a Purbeck Stone
boundary wall with stone gate piers and iron gates. A prominent building in the
High Street. RCHM Monument 3.
Listing NGR: SZ0274578711
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings