History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Newton Manor

A Grade II* Listed Building in Swanage, Dorset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.6101 / 50°36'36"N

Longitude: -1.9724 / 1°58'20"W

OS Eastings: 402047

OS Northings: 78934

OS Grid: SZ020789

Mapcode National: GBR 459.L4T

Mapcode Global: FRA 67RG.9DN

Entry Name: Newton Manor

Listing Date: 26 June 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1119898

English Heritage Legacy ID: 108194

Location: Swanage, Purbeck, Dorset, BH19

County: Dorset

District: Purbeck

Civil Parish: Swanage

Built-Up Area: Swanage

Traditional County: Dorset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset

Church of England Parish: Swanage St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Ulwell

Listing Text

HIGH STREET
1.
5190
(north side)
No 170
(Newton Manor)
SZ 0278 4/68 26.6.52
II* GV

2.
Originally a farmhouse. The main block, probably C18, the facade refaced C19. To
the north of this, an old kitchen block appears C17 - possibly the surviving part of
an earlier house. South of the main block a former outbuilding has been converted
to a drawing room and extended to the rear - mid C19. At the rear (west) of the main
block is a later C18 kitchen wing, with C19 extension linking it to a large C17 barn,
converted to a dining room in C19. The house is built of Purbeck Stone, with Purbeck
Stone roofs. For some centuries the house and estate belonged to the Cockram family.
In c1876 it was bought by Sir John Charles Robinson, Director of the Victoria and
Albert Museum, who carried out considerable works. The main block has 3 storeys, and
is faced with ashlar stone. It has a battlemented parapet, and stone chimney stacks
with oversailing courses. The ground floor has an open stone portico, and 2 double-
hung sash windows with diagonal glazing bars. The first and second floors each have
2 double-hung sash windows with diagonal glazing bars, and a central casement window.
One dormer in the attic with hipped roof, and casement window. Over the outer doorway
is the Coat of Arms of Sir Charles Robinson. In the porch are 2 Ionic columns, one
surmounted by a stone dated 1673. The north block has been refaced in ashlar to
match the main block. It is of 2 storeys and has a battlemented parapet. The ground
floor has 3 windows, one originally mullioned, all now with casements. The south block,
formerly an outbuilding, has one storey and attic. The roof is lead-covered and has
a battlemented parapet. The ground floor now has a large mullioned window, and the
attic has a half-dormer, also mullioned. The rear kitchen wing is of 2 storeys, with
a stone slate roof, and has a double-hung sash window. The former barn has a stone
slate roof with glazed timber lantern turret in the centre. There is a large stone
mullioned oriel window in the former cart entrance. West of this barn is a lower
structure of similar construction, originally a cottage (RCHM), but considerably
reconstructed. Internally, the house has a number of features introduced by
Sir Charles Robinson. The oak carved fireplace surround in the drawing room is of
c1600, apparently brought from a house in Dorchester, and the room contains re-used
panelling of similar date. In the entrance hall are re-used carved oak doors, probably
Portuguese, of C17 date. The double doors leading to the barn (now dining room) are
Spanish, of C17 date, representing a Litany of the Virgin. Other doors in the house,
of C18 date, are from Lady St Mary Church, Wareham. The main staircase is Flemish, of
C17 date, with carved balustrade and newels. The northern ground floor room of the
main house has a carved fireplace surrounding, probably C17. The chimney piece in
the barn (dining room) is Italian, of C15 date. On the landing, one of the windows
has an inscription cut on the glass - "John Cockram, April 4, 1799 - very cold
easterly wind". The rear wing of the house has a C18 fireplace in the first floor
room. The ground floor of the C17 north block has rough chamfered ceiling beams and
a large fireplace, now blocked. Re-set in a modern garden wall is a stone lettered
"Newton Manor House" - probably late C18 - found in the stable block, and a C19 Coat
of Arms of Princess Victoria, daughter of Queen Victoria. C19 cast iron pump, from
London, in front garden. RCHM Monument 11.


Listing NGR: SZ0204778934

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.