History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Unitarian Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Wareham Town, Dorset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.6853 / 50°41'7"N

Longitude: -2.1102 / 2°6'36"W

OS Eastings: 392312

OS Northings: 87304

OS Grid: SY923873

Mapcode National: GBR 32T.TKR

Mapcode Global: FRA 67G8.HPZ

Entry Name: Unitarian Church

Listing Date: 7 May 1952

Last Amended: 8 April 1976

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1119975

English Heritage Legacy ID: 108078

Location: Wareham Town, Purbeck, Dorset, BH20

County: Dorset

District: Purbeck

Civil Parish: Wareham Town

Built-Up Area: Wareham

Traditional County: Dorset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset

Church of England Parish: Wareham Lady St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Wareham

Listing Text

1.
5190 SOUTH STREET
(West Side)

Unitarian Church
(formerly listed as
Unitarian Chapel)
SY 9287 1/39 7.5.52.

II GV


2.
Opened on 29 September, 1830. Stucco. Tetrastyle Roman Ionic portico on high
bases, with 7 steps up between panelled retaining walls, and with full entablature
and blocking course. Blind wall on either side, with round-headed panels and
full entablature. Central attic with panelled flanking pilasters, cornice and
pediment. 4-panelled double doors with ornamental lamp bracket over. Courtyard
paved with stone setts.
Interior. Gallery on 2 slender Tuscan columns along east side: entablature, panelling
and cornice. Clock by Edward Wilkins of Newport, Isle of Wight. Other fittings
late C19, including communion rail and rails to pulpit with very elaborate iron
balusters, excellent organ in elaborate Gothic manner, modern neo-classical organ
and brass pulpit (1903).

Nos 2 to 10 (even), The Unitarian Chapel, Nos 12 to 32 (even) And Holy Trinity
Gallery form a group.


Listing NGR: SY9231287304

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.