This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.6841 / 50°41'2"N
Longitude: -2.1076 / 2°6'27"W
OS Eastings: 392493
OS Northings: 87166
OS Grid: SY924871
Mapcode National: GBR 330.1YR
Mapcode Global: FRA 67G8.JQJ
Entry Name: The Priory of Lady St Mary Including Walls Immediately to West
Listing Date: 7 May 1952
Last Amended: 8 April 1976
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1120030
English Heritage Legacy ID: 107940
Location: Wareham Town, Purbeck, Dorset, BH20
Civil Parish: Wareham Town
Built-Up Area: Wareham
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Wareham Lady St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
5190 CHURCH GREEN
The Priory of Lady St Mary
including walls immediately
(formerly listed as
SY 9287 1/97 7.5.52.
Early C16, with C17 additions to east and north, C18 to west, and C19 further west
still. Hammer-dressed Purbeck stone, west range red brick, and tall red brick stack
to east. Eastern part has hipped tile roof (half-hipped to west). Western part
has pitched tile roof. Stone slates above eaves. 2 storeys and attics.
South front has 2 stone-mullioned casements with hollow chamfers on ground floor
or east part, otherwise mainly modern casements. Skylights, and 1 attic dormer
with hipped tile roof.
North front has brick modillion eaves cornice. 3 modern casements on 1st floor.
Lean-to extension on ground floor, with entrance door, masks 1 C17 door with moulded
4-centred arch, formerly external.
Interior of main part was originally a single storey hall, with parlour and 1st
floor chamber at east end. Of the original arrangement the moulded intersecting
ceiling beams of the drawing room remain. Drawing room also has a C17 stone chimney
piece with moulded 4-centred head and embattled mantel-shelf.
In the late C17 or early C18 the hall was ceiled and divided into 2 storeys, with
3 rooms on the ground. Of this period there remain the diagonal chimney breast
in the north-west corner of the dining room, and the stairs in what was formerly
the north-east corner of the hall.
C17 extension to east. Red brick and Purbeck rubble. Hipped tile roof with stone
slates above eaves. 2 storeys. South front has 1 C18 sash with glazing bars on
ground floor, 1 casement with glazing bars on 1st floor. Elsewhere it has casements
with glazing bars, and 3 attic dormers with hipped tile roofs, casements and glazed
cheeks. Passageway through on ground floor, entered at west (courtyard) end by
means of C17 4-centred arch with moulded jambs and voussoirs.
C18 extension to west is (on north side) of Purbeck rubble stone with pitched tile
roof. 2 storeys. 1 range of casements, upper are with (probably reconstituted)
Courtyard on north side paved with stone setts.
Range of C17 outhouses along north side of courtyard, joining the C17 east block.
Purbeck rubble stone. Half-hipped tile roof. 1 storey. C17 4-centred arched door
with moulded jambs and voussoirs in west end. West part of this range is C18 red
brick with hipped tile roof, and stone slates above eaves. 1 ledged door.
Courtyard closed at west end by Purbeck rubblestone wall with pointed arched gateway,
linking outhouse range with the C19 block to north-west of main range.
Various rubble walls to west of main range may be the remains of the mediaeval Priory
of Lady St Mary.
All the listed buildings in Church Green form a group.
Listing NGR: SY9249387166
Other nearby listed buildings