History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints and St Mark

A Grade II* Listed Building in West Parley, Dorset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.7711 / 50°46'16"N

Longitude: -1.8787 / 1°52'43"W

OS Eastings: 408651

OS Northings: 96844

OS Grid: SZ086968

Mapcode National: GBR 43G.KV8

Mapcode Global: FRA 67Y1.PWW

Entry Name: Church of All Saints and St Mark

Listing Date: 18 March 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1120037

English Heritage Legacy ID: 107702

Location: West Parley, East Dorset, Dorset, BH22

County: Dorset

District: East Dorset

Civil Parish: West Parley

Built-Up Area: West Parley

Traditional County: Dorset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset

Church of England Parish: West Parley All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Hampreston

Listing Text

WEST PARLEY
SZ 09 NE
CHURCH LANE
(East)
12/75
Church of All Saints
18.3.55 and St Mark
- II*
Parish church. C12 nave, C14 chancel. C15 north porch, C16 nave extension,
C18 features, restoration (and vestry) of 1896 (including the external wall
of the chancel). Ironstone rubble walls and buttresses, roughcast to most
of the nave, coursed rubble to the chancel and vestry, with plinth, brick
bands; ashlar dressings. Roof of tiles, with lower courses of stone
slates. Aisleless nave and chancel, north porch and north vestry. The east
window is medieval, the nave has three C18 Gothic trefoil-headed lights, the
chancel with smaller lights (1896) of similar form. The porch is timber
framed on a stone base, with a bargeboard of cusped decoration, and within
is a plain Norman doorway and an old door with medieval hinges. The bell
turret is boarded, with four gables and an octagonal leaded spirelet.
Inside, there is a C14 chancel arch and squints (of uncertain date). The
front is a C12 tub with arcading, one cylindrical stem and square base, with
a later octagonal bowl at the top. There is a two-decker Jacobean pulpit,
with panelled and moulded sides, and a sounding board of the C18. The
medieval roof has exposed arch-braces (once hidden by a plaster barrel
vault, as restored in the chancel), the former carved bosses, removed when
the roof was restored in 1933, being exhibited in a glass case. There are
box pews in pine, of 1841. RCHM


Listing NGR: SZ0865196844

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.