History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Almer Manor

A Grade II* Listed Building in Sturminster Marshall, Dorset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.7903 / 50°47'25"N

Longitude: -2.1233 / 2°7'23"W

OS Eastings: 391408

OS Northings: 98975

OS Grid: SY914989

Mapcode National: GBR 209.B10

Mapcode Global: FRA 67F0.4MK

Entry Name: Almer Manor

Listing Date: 18 March 1955

Last Amended: 30 October 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1120056

English Heritage Legacy ID: 107678

Location: Sturminster Marshall, East Dorset, Dorset, DT11

County: Dorset

District: East Dorset

Civil Parish: Sturminster Marshall

Traditional County: Dorset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset

Church of England Parish: Almer and Charborough St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Almer

Listing Text

STURMINSTER MARSHALL
SY 99 NW
ALMER
9/53 Almer Manor.
(Formerly listed as
18.3.55
West Almer Farmhouse)
- II*
House. c1600, with early C17 extensions, and C20 alterations. Walls of
flint and limestone bands, some of ironstone rubble. Tile roof, with stone
slates in the lower courses. Rectangular block with central hall, with a
wing extending at right angles, the re-entrant being filled in the early
C17; two storeys and attic, irregular elevations. The long north west front
has a two storeyed angular bay, and another to its north side of similar
form (thought to be an introduction of c1600) but containing the entrance.
The porch bay is made more elaborate by having columns at the outer angle, a
crude Corinthian above a Doric order (new), and an arched opening with a
keystone. Windows are mostly stone-framed with mullions and hood-moulds of
the C17 and C20, filled with casements. There is a deep porch set against
the double gable of the north east elevation, and a C20 'Tudor' doorway in
the angle of the south west elevation. Nearby is an old wood framed pump,
containing a lead hopper-head with raised decoration, the date 1779, and the
letters E.T.D. Inside, there is C17 panelling, old doorways and remains of
the original roof truss. RCHM


Listing NGR: SY9140298970

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.