This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8806 / 50°52'50"N
Longitude: -1.9292 / 1°55'45"W
OS Eastings: 405078
OS Northings: 109016
OS Grid: SU050090
Mapcode National: GBR 421.R2X
Mapcode Global: FRA 66VS.283
Entry Name: Church of the Ascension
Listing Date: 18 March 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1120073
English Heritage Legacy ID: 107619
Location: Woodlands, East Dorset, Dorset, BH21
District: East Dorset
Civil Parish: Woodlands
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Woodlands The Ascension
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SU OO NE VERWOOD ROAD (south
6/160 Church of the
Anglican Parish Church. Built 1892 for the Countess of Shaftesbury.
Architect, G F Bodley. Brick walls with stone dressings, tiled roof. Stone
bellcote set longitudinally at junction of nave and chancel. Double nave and
chancel with no structural division, and central arcade, north porch, and
vestry south of chancel. North elevation has, at west end, porch with coped
gable. Pointed arched doorway flanked by stone buttresses. In north wall of
church, 2 square headed 3-light windows with ogee tracery. East wall has
central buttress with gabled top, and two 2-light pointed arched windows with
ogee tracery. On south side, at east end, vestry with flat roof and moulded
parapet. In south wall of church 2 square headed windows as in north wall.
West gable wall has central buttress and two 2-light pointed arched windows
with curvilinear tracery. Foundation stone dated 1891. Internally, walls
plastered. Central arcade of 5 bays - the eastern 1½ bays forming chancel.
Roof with colour decoration, and principals supported on arcade wall. Arcade
with octagonal columns, moulded caps and chamfered arches. Carved oak chancel
screen by Bodley. Carved and painted timber altar and reredos. Mural
paintings in chancel. C12 circular stone font on C20 base, from the former
Church at Knowlton (qv). (R.C.H.M. Monument 2. Dorset Vol II. Newman and
Pevsner "Buildings of England. Dorset").
Listing NGR: SU0507809016
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings