This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8388 / 50°50'19"N
Longitude: -1.9781 / 1°58'41"W
OS Eastings: 401640
OS Northings: 104368
OS Grid: SU016043
Mapcode National: GBR 317.BQP
Mapcode Global: FRA 66RW.76C
Entry Name: Gaunt's House (Drumpton School)
Listing Date: 4 November 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1120104
English Heritage Legacy ID: 107488
Location: Hinton Martell, East Dorset, Dorset, BH21
District: East Dorset
Civil Parish: Hinton
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Hinton Martel St John the Evangelist
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SU 00 SW
9/30 Gaunt's House
Country house, used as school. Original building 1809. Architect William
Evans of Wimborne, for Sir Richard Carr Glyn. Greatly enlarged and refaced,
1887. Architect George Devey. Brick walls, slate roofs with parapets and
coped gables. Brick stacks set irregularly. Mostly 2 storeys and attic.
Main entrance front has, at left end, a square, 4-storeyed tower, with
battlemented parapet on corbel table. Raised brick quoins. 2 plain sashes on
first floor, one on second floor, 3 on third floor. Right of the tower a
range with 5 Flemish style gables; the centre bay projecting slightly. In
this bay, ground and first floors each have 2 plain triple sashes, under brick
hoodmoulds, one similar sash in attic. Left of bay, ground and first floors
each have 3 plain sashes under hoodmoulds; hoodmoulds on first floor linked by
string course. 2 similar sashes in attic. Right of the bay, 2 similar sashes
on each floor and, at right end, an open stone portico with flat roof and
cornice supported on pairs of Ionic columns. (This may be the original
entrance - re-set). On the main roof an octagonal timber bell turret with
ogee shaped lead cap and weathervane. At right end of the house the original
1809 villa projects forward. This also of 2 storeys and attic. Central
multi-flue stack with ornamental cap. 2 Flemish style gables linked by
balustraded parapet. On ground floor, the original entrance replaced by a
Venetian window, with Tuscan pilasters. In the solid tympanum, a terra-cotta
bust of Queen Victoria, with inscriptions commemorating the original building
and its extension, - marking Jubilee Year. Flanking this, on ground floor, 2
sashes with glazing bars each side, with ornamental terra-cotta plaques over.
5 similar sashes on first floor, with stone band course below cills. 2 plain
sashes in attic. At right end a single storey extension with open parapet.
At left end a range of single storey attached outbuildings. Internally,
in original house, stone stair with iron balustrade. Good ornamental plaster
ceiling in Drawing Room. Other rooms have enriched cornices, and fireplace
surrounds. Some mahogany panelled doors. Reputedly Devey's last work
(R.C.H.M. Monument 2 Dorset Vol V The Buildings of England. Dorset. Newman
and Pevsner. Hutchins' History of Dorset, III. 244).
Listing NGR: SU0164004368
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings