This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8551 / 50°51'18"N
Longitude: -1.9814 / 1°58'52"W
OS Eastings: 401406
OS Northings: 106179
OS Grid: SU014061
Mapcode National: GBR 311.9VZ
Mapcode Global: FRA 66QV.5WV
Entry Name: Church of St John the Evangelist
Listing Date: 18 March 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1120106
English Heritage Legacy ID: 107491
Location: Hinton Martell, East Dorset, Dorset, BH21
District: East Dorset
Civil Parish: Hinton
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Hinton Martel St John the Evangelist
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SU 01 06 VILLAGE STREET
12/33 Church of St John
Parish Church, 1870 by J Hicks and G R Crickmay possibly with the involvement
of Thomas Hardy (Brocklebank). Flint, rubble and ashlar with ashlar
dressings. Tiled roofs with stone gable copings. Plan: nave, chancel, north
aisle; north organ chamber; west tower; south porch. West tower: 3 stages
separated by weathered strings; embattled parapet; octagonal north vice
turret; west window of 3 plate tracery lights under a pointed head; second
stage has 2 reset C15 trefoiled single light windows; belfry has square headed
windows of 2 trefoiled lights. North aisle: west window of 2 trefoiled,
plate tracery lights under pointed heads; east window of 3 graduated lancets;
north wall has pairs and triplets of trefoiled lancets. Nave: 2 light square
headed window with Perpendicular tracery left of porch; right of porch are 2
reset late C15/early C16 square headed windows with labels having carved
stops. Chancel: south wall has reset C14 pointed, 2-light window with
Y-tracey left and a C19 copy right; east window of 3 lights with intersecting
tracery, under a pointed head with a label with head stops. Porch has
pointed, moulded arch with label with head stops.
Interior: pointed, moulded chancel arch with respond shafts having moulded
caps and bases; 4 bay, pointed arcade with piers of 4 clustered shafts having
moulded caps and bases; the east respond has C19 foliage carving; chancel to
organ chamber arch segmental pointed of 2 chamfered orders; 4 bay arch-braced
scissor truss roof to nave springing from carved corbels in the form of the
Evangelists and Old Testament characters; pointed, ribbed barrel vault to
chancel springing from carved angels; aisle has arch-braced collar and king
post roof with bracing; C19 stone pulpit with carved panels; C19 glass, C13
font of Purbeck marble, with octagonal bowl having panels with pointed heads
on octagonal stem and base; C19 monuments reset under tower; C19 pews etc; C20
painted tower screen. (R.C.H.M. Dorset Vol V, p.30, no. l.Newman J and
Pevsner N The Buildings of England Dorset, 1972, p.229. Brocklebank, J.
Victorian Stone Carvers in Dorset Churches 1856-1880, 1979, p.49-50. A Short
Guide to the Church and Village of Hinton Martell, Rev Wm. H Barnard, 1977).
Listing NGR: SU0140606179
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings