This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9038 / 50°54'13"N
Longitude: -1.9553 / 1°57'19"W
OS Eastings: 403236
OS Northings: 111591
OS Grid: SU032115
Mapcode National: GBR 41T.BGM
Mapcode Global: FRA 66SQ.B1G
Entry Name: St Giles House
Listing Date: 18 March 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1120129
English Heritage Legacy ID: 107443
Location: Wimborne St. Giles, East Dorset, Dorset, BH21
District: East Dorset
Civil Parish: Wimborne St. Giles
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Wimborne St Giles
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
WIMBORNE ST GILES
SU 0311 ST GILES HOUSE
13/108 St Giles House
Country house, possibly incorporating late medieval work in the basements,
main body of house begun 1651 for Sir A Ashley-Cooper, first Earl of
Shaftesbury, further C17 work with some interiors possibly by John Webb
(Newman and Pevsner), extensive alterations of 1740-4 by Henry Flitcroft,
further work of the 1790s possibly by Soane (Newman and Pevsner), further
work of 1813-20 by Thomas Cundy, alterations of 1854 by P C Hardwick.
Rear wings demolished early 1970s. Brick, formerly rendered, with ashlar
dressings and slate and lead roofs. Rendered C19 stacks. C17 rusticated
brick quoin exposed on south front. Some C18 embattled parapets remain.
Parapet and first-floor plat bands. Main front to east. Symmetrical:
2 storeys with attics and basements; 7 bay. Ashlar architraves with
keystones. Sashes largely C20 replacements in the C18 style (corresponding
to Flitcroft's alterations) having thick moulded glazing-bars. Central
doorway with moulded ashlar architrave with keystone supporting a curvilinear
broken pediment containing a blank shield. 5 pedimented dormer windows.
The details of the other facades are broadly similar to those of the east
front. A central open courtyard was roofed in the early C19.
Main interior features (house largely in the process of renovation to
counter the effects of dry rot at time of survey, 1985): C17 work;
large stone chimney piece with sways and garlands of fruit dropping
from lions' mouths; ceiling with oval wreath of fruit and oak leaves
with side panels; C18 work: a number of Palladian chimney pieces,
enriched friezes and cornices and joinery; C19 work: central hallway
with columned galleries; staircase with wrought iron balustrade; various
joinery and fittings. The basements contains a C16 moulded stone doorway
with depressed 4-centred head.
A house of great archaeological complexity. (RCHM, Dorset, vol V,
p 94-97, no. 4. Newman, J and Pevsner, N. The Buildings of England:
Dorset, 1972, p 471-2).
Listing NGR: SU0323611591
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings