This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8744 / 50°52'27"N
Longitude: -2.0095 / 2°0'34"W
OS Eastings: 399429
OS Northings: 108324
OS Grid: ST994083
Mapcode National: GBR 30T.2SP
Mapcode Global: FRA 66PS.DZL
Entry Name: Crichel House
Listing Date: 18 March 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1120155
English Heritage Legacy ID: 107400
Location: Moor Crichel, East Dorset, Dorset, BH21
District: East Dorset
Civil Parish: Crichel
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Witchampton, Stanbridge and Long Crichel with More Crichel
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 90 NE
8/63 Crichel House
Country house, 1743, extensive enlargement c.1770 with further additions
and alterations of the C19 and C20. Original house for Sir William Napier,
late C18 work for Humphrey Sturt. Some C19 work by Burn and McVicar Anderson
(Newman and Pevsner). Some interior decoration probably by James Wyatt.
Rendered brickwork with ashlar dressings and slate and lead roofs. On plan
the earliest house is nearly encased in later additions. Main entrance is
now to the west front. 3 storeys and attics. The south front to the park
is symmetrical of 11 bays 3:5:3 with pedimented central piece. 12-pane
sashes in moulded ashlar architraves. Rusticated basement storey. Recessed
central portico with Ionic columns, pilasters to the third storey above.
The outer bays have large Palladian windows to the lower storey. Part of
the original house visible behind portico - upper floor to centre window
has scrolled cheekpieces and is above a pedimented ground floor doorway.
East front is symmetrical of 7 bay 2:3:2 with centre pediment. General
detailing similar to the south front; central pedimented Palladian doorway
with Palladian window over. West front has C19 single storey portico. To
the ground floor right are 2 large Palladian windows. Other windows are
12-pane sashes with moulded architraves. Some parts of the earlier house
are exposed. The north facade was largely refaced after a Victorian service
wing was demolished (Newman and Pevsner).
Interior features (access to interior not possible, information based on
RCHM and Newman and Pevsner): partly in a Kentian style, partly in the neo-
classical style of James Wyatt; some of the earlier work may be by the
Bastards of Blandford Forum; many Kentian and neo-classical chimney pieces;
fine early to mid C18 staircase; dining room and drawing room with imposing
neo-classical plasterwork ceilings and decoration; many other high quality
Georgian details. (RCHM, Dorset, vol V, p 41-4, no. 2. Newman, J and
Pevsner, N. The Buildings of England: Dorset, 1972, p 298-9).
Listing NGR: ST9942908324
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings