History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St Aldhelm's Chapel

A Grade II Listed Building in Cranborne, Dorset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9313 / 50°55'52"N

Longitude: -1.9137 / 1°54'49"W

OS Eastings: 406162

OS Northings: 114652

OS Grid: SU061146

Mapcode National: GBR 41H.H0V

Mapcode Global: FRA 66WN.29B

Entry Name: St Aldhelm's Chapel

Listing Date: 18 March 1955

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1120176

English Heritage Legacy ID: 107346

Location: Cranborne, East Dorset, Dorset, BH21

County: Dorset

District: East Dorset

Civil Parish: Cranborne

Traditional County: Dorset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset

Church of England Parish: Cranborne with Boveridge St Mary and St Bartholomew

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Cranborne

Listing Text

CRANBORNE
SU 01 SE BOVERIDGE

7/9 St Aldhelm's Chapel

18.3.55 II

Chapel of Ease, now redundant, dated 1838. Banded brick and flint with
rusticated brick quoins and ashlar dressings, slate roof. Plan: combined
nave and chancel; north chapel; north tower. In an electric classical style.
Round-headed ashlar windows with moulded architraves and stone keystones,
some with transoms at the springing line. Modillioned brick cornice.
Rusticated west doorway with double, panelled doorway in pilastered surround;
3-light window over. Belfry has 2-light round-headed ashlar windows. Ashlar
open cupola with round arches on Roman Doric columns surmounted by a vase
finial.

Internal features (RCHM): reset C16 and C17 panelling; wall tablet to Henry
Brouncher and family 1825; reset stone cartouche with painted arms; gadrooned
stone font with fluted bowl, probably 1838; (Pevsner) Openwork pulpit
incorporating C17 work. (RCHM, Dorset, vol. V, p.7, no.2., Newman, J and
Pevsner, N., The Buildings of England: Dorset, 1972, p.105.)


Listing NGR: SU0616214652

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.