History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Manor House, Including the Wall and Gate Piers Extending North West from the South West End of the Main Block

A Grade II* Listed Building in Steeple, Dorset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.6291 / 50°37'44"N

Longitude: -2.1262 / 2°7'34"W

OS Eastings: 391168

OS Northings: 81055

OS Grid: SY911810

Mapcode National: GBR 227.H84

Mapcode Global: FRA 67FD.X1G

Entry Name: The Manor House, Including the Wall and Gate Piers Extending North West from the South West End of the Main Block

Listing Date: 20 November 1959

Last Amended: 2 October 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1120422

English Heritage Legacy ID: 108704

Location: Steeple, Purbeck, Dorset, BH20

County: Dorset

District: Purbeck

Civil Parish: Steeple with Tyneham

Traditional County: Dorset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset

Church of England Parish: Steeple with Tyneham St Michael and All Angels

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Kingston

Listing Text

SY98SW MORETON STEEPLE
9/247
20.11.59 The Manor House,
including the wall
and gate piers
extending north west
from the south west
end of the main block
(Steeple Manor
previously listed)
GV
II*


(formerly listed as "Steeple Manor"). Detached house. c1600 origin, enlarged in
late C17, C18 and c1920. Rubble stone walls, stone slate roofs with coped gables,
stone stacks with moulded caps. Two storeys and attics. Original building of
rectangular plan - Hall and Parlour. Rear wing (present Library) added at south end
in late C17. Front wing (present Drawing Room) added at north end in C18. This has
its own staircase - forming a self-contained unit. Large additions to north c1920,
in matching style. On main west front, original section has date stone over door -
1698 (probably date of rear extension). Doorway with moulded stone surround.
Ground floor has three iron casement windows with lead lights under stone arches.
First floor has three similar windows. Attic has two gabled dormers with casements
with glazing bars. C18 wing at north end has part-glazed door in moulded stone
surround. Ground floor has two iron casement windows with lead lights in moulded
stone surround.
First floor has three similar windows. Attic has one gabled dormer with casements
with glazing bars. Rear wing has stone mullioned windows on ground and first
floors. Lead pump on wall of this wing. Internally, main stairs - in original
section, late C17 with heavy turned balusters and moulded handrail. Ground floor
rooms here have C18 panelling and cornices. Parlour has stone fireplace - blocked -
with 4-centred arch, and one deep chamfered ceiling beam. Library has C18 panelling
and fireplace with moulded stone surround. Drawing Room has C18 panelling with
raised panels, and fireplace with moulded stone surround. Similar panelling in room
above this. Single-storey detached outbuildings at rear, of stone, with stone slate
roofs. Brick Garden wall, with stone piers with caps and ball finials, extending
north west from south west of main range. RCHM Monument 5.


Listing NGR: SY9116881055

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.