History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Church of the Holy Rood (Now Redundant)

A Grade II Listed Building in Coombe Keynes, Dorset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.6564 / 50°39'23"N

Longitude: -2.224 / 2°13'26"W

OS Eastings: 384261

OS Northings: 84105

OS Grid: SY842841

Mapcode National: GBR 21Q.NKG

Mapcode Global: FRA 677B.MDJ

Entry Name: Former Church of the Holy Rood (Now Redundant)

Listing Date: 20 November 1959

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1120491

English Heritage Legacy ID: 108558

Location: Coombe Keynes, Purbeck, Dorset, BH20

County: Dorset

District: Purbeck

Civil Parish: Coombe Keynes

Traditional County: Dorset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset

Church of England Parish: Wool, East Burton and Combe Keynes

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Wool

Listing Text

SY 8484
14/99 COOMBE KEYNES CHURCH LANE
20.11.59 (East Side)

former Church of the
Holy Rood (now
Redundant)

II

Redundant church. Tower C13, rest of church rebuilt 1860-61. Architect Thomas
Hicks. Stone walls, stone slate roofs with coped gables. Nave, chancel, north
porch and west tower. Tower of two stages with pyramidal roof and shallow clasping
angle buttresses. Simple lancet windows - those in upper stage with pierced stone
panels. South wall of nave has four plain lancet windows, with intermediate
buttresses. Chancel has two similar windows. North elevations similar, but with
porch replacing one nave window. Porch has pointed arched doorway with lancet
window over.
Internally, roof of pine, of trussed rafter form, with arch-braced trusses. Some
C18 graveslabs in floor. C13 chancel arch - re-set. Most furnishings removed.
North wall to churchyard of brick, former boundary with The Old Parsonage.
RCHM Monument 1.

Listing NGR: SY8426184105

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.