This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.6732 / 50°40'23"N
Longitude: -2.144 / 2°8'38"W
OS Eastings: 389921
OS Northings: 85962
OS Grid: SY899859
Mapcode National: GBR 21M.QRQ
Mapcode Global: FRA 67D9.8K9
Entry Name: Parish Church of St John the Evangelist
Listing Date: 2 October 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1120495
English Heritage Legacy ID: 108571
Location: East Holme, Purbeck, Dorset, BH20
Civil Parish: East Holme
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Wareham Lady St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SY 88 NE EAST HOLME
Parish Church of
St John the
Small parish church, built 1865-6. Architect J Hicks. Ironstone walls, stone slate
roofs with coped gables. In Gothic Revival style. Nave, chancel with north
vestry. South porch. Small west bell turret with trefoil arch under stone gable.
Plain lancet windows to nave and chancel. Triple lancets to east window. Double
lancets to west window with quatrefoil over. Internal walls plastered, with
contemporary mural paintings. Good carving to chancel arch capitals, nave and
chancel roof corbels and cornices. Chancel and west windows have rere-arches with
Purbeck marble shafts and carved caps. Arch-braced roofs to nave and chancel. All
fittings contemporary except for a C17 brass tablet - from the former Priory
Church. Three medieval stone coffin lids in churchyard - rather eroded. Good
example of small C19 church. RCHM Monument 1.
Note. The chancel arch from the former Pirory Church was re-erected in St John's
Chapel, Creech-Steeple Parish - q.v.
Listing NGR: SY8992185962
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings