This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.7802 / 50°46'48"N
Longitude: -2.1075 / 2°6'27"W
OS Eastings: 392515
OS Northings: 97852
OS Grid: SY925978
Mapcode National: GBR 31V.200
Mapcode Global: FRA 67G0.YKR
Entry Name: Parish Church of Saint Mary, Charborough
Listing Date: 20 November 1959
Last Amended: 28 March 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1120553
English Heritage Legacy ID: 108403
Location: Morden, Purbeck, Dorset, BH20
Civil Parish: Morden
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Almer and Charborough St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SY 99 NW MORDEN CHARBOROUGH PARK
3/125 Parish Church of Saint Mary,
GV II *
Formerly listed as "Chapel of St Mary, Charborough House". Parish Church.
Rebuilt 1775. - replacing a medieval church and remodelled 1837. Plastered
walls, with stone dressings, slate roof, with battlemented parapet. Small
bell turret with spirelet at west end. Simple rectangular plan - no structural
chancel. In early Gothic Revival style. Single pinnacles at angles, and over
east gable. Classical cornice and pilasters. Side walls have 2-light windows
with simple tracery. East and west windows of 3 lights, with Perpendicular
style tracery. At west end, an open porch with slender column s supporting
depressed 4-centred arches carrying battlemented flat roof. Internally, a
pitched timber roof with moulded panelled ceiling with painted Coats of Arms
at intersections. Several C18 and early C19 wall monuments including one by
Sir Richard Westmacott. A considerable amount of imported C17 carved wood-
work - mostly Flemish, installed in 1823, (commemorative tablet on west wall).
This includes 2 carved brackets in nave, candelabrum in nave, communion
rails, altar table with reredos, stalls on south wall of sanctuary, surmounted
by another reredos , reading desk, 2-decker pulpit. Early C19 painted glass
in east window. Graded II* for furnishings. RCHM Monument 2.
Listing NGR: SY9251597852
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings