This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.7772 / 54°46'37"N
Longitude: -1.576 / 1°34'33"W
OS Eastings: 427372
OS Northings: 542559
OS Grid: NZ273425
Mapcode National: GBR KFF6.L9
Mapcode Global: WHC4Q.R6Q2
Entry Name: New Markets with Left Entrance and Rooms Above
Listing Date: 19 February 1970
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1120628
English Heritage Legacy ID: 110283
Location: County Durham, DH1
County: County Durham
Electoral Ward/Division: Elvet and Gilesgate
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Durham
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Durham St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: Durham
NZ 2742 NW
DURHAM AND FRAMWELLGATE
New markets with left
entrance and rooms above
Covered market and entrance bay. 1851 by P.C. Hardwick, for Durham Markets
Co. Coursed squared sandstone with ashlar dressings; roof of large Welsh
slates. Tudor style. 3 storeys and attic, one bay. Wide Tudor arch under
frieze with blind quatrefoil decoration. Stone mullioned-and-transomed windows
above, 3-light on first and second floor with relieving arches, and 2-light
in attic under gable on moulded kneelers with top fleur-de-lis finial.
Interior: slender Tuscan cast iron columns support pierced beams and slender
tied trusses, with glazed roof. Stone-vaulted at north end.
Listing NGR: NZ2737242559
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings