This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.7725 / 54°46'21"N
Longitude: -1.5757 / 1°34'32"W
OS Eastings: 427390
OS Northings: 542036
OS Grid: NZ273420
Mapcode National: GBR KFF7.NZ
Mapcode Global: WHC4Q.R9VN
Entry Name: 16 and 16a, the College
Listing Date: 6 May 1952
Last Amended: 10 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1120656
English Heritage Legacy ID: 110149
Location: County Durham, DH1
County: County Durham
Electoral Ward/Division: Elvet and Gilesgate
Built-Up Area: Durham
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
DURHAM AND FRAMWELLGATE THE COLLEGE
NZ 2742 SW (North side)
14/100 Nos. 16 and 16A
(formerly listed as
6.5.52 house on the site of the
Chamberlain's Checker; rebuilt as prebendary house, now 2 separate houses.
Medieval with C17 and C18 alterations. Sandstone rubble with ashlar plinth
and dressings; ashlar early C18 arcade; brick rear; roofs of stone flags,
Lakeland slate and Welsh slate, with brick chimneys, some rendered. 2 cross
wings flank main block with arcaded ground floor: 2 storeys, 2, 3 and one bays.
No. 16A at left has entrance in left return; gable to front has ground-floor
horizontal sliding sashes with broad glazing bars, painted projecting stone
sills and flat stone lintels; first-floor sashes with glazing bars have similar
sills and lintels. Central part has blocked arcade, with round-headed windows
and impost string, under first floor band; ashlar continues up to first floor
sill band of 3 large sashes with glazing bars under flat stone lintels. Right
wing has internal steps up to 8-pane door in stone architrave under coat-of-arms
of Bishop Egerton (1771-87). Curved sash with glazing bars above is recessed
obliquely in opening with flat stone lintel and projecting stone sill. Slit in
gable peak above. 2-storey bow in left return of wing. Steeply-pitched rooofs.
Stone-coped parapet on right return of left wing; tall polygonal chimney on left
wing and to rear of central ridge.
Interior: No. 16A has wide Tudor-arched chimney with stop-chamfered moulding;
spit machinery above; beam with tongue-stopped chamfer; rear kitchen doorway with
shouldered lintel; panelled room with shutters; chimney piece with panelled
fascia and dentilled cornice. No. 16 has early C18 closed-string stair with flat
handrail on skittle balusters, square newels with pendants and panelled dado.
Central first-floor room of double cube shape has dado, end apse, corniced chimney
piece with fluted fascia, stucco ceiling cornice and central acanthus roundel
with encircling enriched moulding. Panelled rooms and other C18 chimney pieces.
Dado wainscoting in rear service passage on ground floor. First floor room in
right cross wing has symmetrically-placed apse containing bowed window which
appears oblique from outside.
Listing NGR: NZ2739742038
Other nearby listed buildings