This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.7714 / 54°46'17"N
Longitude: -1.5727 / 1°34'21"W
OS Eastings: 427585
OS Northings: 541915
OS Grid: NZ275419
Mapcode National: GBR KFG8.9C
Mapcode Global: WHC4Q.TB8H
Entry Name: Church of St Oswald
Listing Date: 6 May 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1120678
English Heritage Legacy ID: 110099
Location: County Durham, DH1
County: County Durham
Electoral Ward/Division: Elvet and Gilesgate
Built-Up Area: Durham
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Durham St Oswald
Church of England Diocese: Durham
DURHAM AND FRAMWELLGATE CHURCH STREET
NZ 2741 NE (West side)
17/50 Church of St. Oswald
Parish church. Late C12; probably on site of earlier church; extensively rebuilt
1834 by Ignatius Bonomi (chancel, south aisle, west part of north wall, clerestory).
Coursed squared sandstone with ashlar dressings; roof damaged by fire at time of
survey. West tower, aisled nave, chancel with 1864 north vestry, by Hodgson Fowler.
4-stage tower has renewed 4-light west window and blank north and south first
stage; small 2-light windows above with cusped ogee heads; very small square
windows in third stage; tall 2-light belfry openings with 2-centred heads.
Diagonal buttresses with offsets; battlemented parapet with corner gargoyles and
pinnacles. Buttressed south aisle has renewed moulded 2-centred arch in first
bay under ogee-headed niche with blind tracery above; (plainer door in first bay
of north aisle); 2-light windows in 2-centred arches; parapet with sloped coping.
Tudor arches over clerestory windows with 3 cusped lights; battlemented parapet
on shafts. 3-bay chancel has 3 cusped lights; east front has high gable containing
4-light window with reticulated tracery flanked by large diagonal buttresses;
niches in these contain statues under crocketed gablets; spirelets have acanthus
finials. North aisle windows: Decorated in 2 west bays separated by large
buttress from 2 east bays with Perpendicular windows, all of 2 lights. Interior:
plaster with sandstone ashlar arcades and dressings; low-pitched roof has king
posts flanked by 4 queen posts each side; re-used purlins: alternate trusses rest
on re-used braces with angels and masks, said to be from earlier hammer-beam roof.
Nave arcades have chamfered round arches on keeled shafts and 3 round columns at
east end; 2 octagonal columns and octagonal half-columns at west end; 2-centred
slightly-chamfered chancel arch on water-leaf capitals and square piers with
broach-stopped chamfers. North aisle of 2 stages: eastern 3 bays end in transverse
arch and have C16 panelled roof with moulded beams and bosses,now with decoration
removed. Tower has tall double-chamfered arch with moulded square capitals;
square-headed door to stone spiral stair, formed from medieval grave-covers; 8-
ribbed vault with wide circular central rib. Glass in west window 1864-6 by Morris
and Co. with panels by Ford Madox Brown; other windows by Kempe and Co. and by
Clayton and Bell. Undergoing repairs at time of survey.
Listing NGR: NZ2758541915
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings