This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.7722 / 54°46'20"N
Longitude: -1.5755 / 1°34'31"W
OS Eastings: 427404
OS Northings: 542006
OS Grid: NZ274420
Mapcode National: GBR KFF8.P2
Mapcode Global: WHC4Q.R9YW
Entry Name: 1 and 2, the College
Listing Date: 6 May 1952
Last Amended: 10 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1120687
English Heritage Legacy ID: 110126
Location: County Durham, DH1
County: County Durham
Electoral Ward/Division: Elvet and Gilesgate
Built-Up Area: Durham
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
DURHAM AND FRAMWELLGATE THE COLLEGE
NZ 2741 NW (East side)
14/78 and 16/78 Nos. 1 and 2 (formerly
listed as garage
6.5.52 adjoining The Priory
Gateway to south and
cottage adjoining garage
First use unknown; now garage and studio with house. Medieval and later.
Sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings; roof of graduated Lakeland slates with
3 rows of stone slates at eaves; brick chimneys. 2 storeys, 6 irregular bays.
2 garage entrances at left; boarded door in chamfered surround at right. 4
blocked first-floor openings, possibly to loft, have flattened Tudor-arched
lintels. Varied window types: horizontal sliding sashes in chamfered surrounds;
renewed cross window; chamfered surround and flat stone sill to central rectangular
boarded loft opening. Roof has slightly swept eaves; chimneys at end and behind
ridge at centre.
Interior: wood studding with brick nogging in north gable; roof trusses with
arched tie beams, clasped purlins, and king posts above collars; ridge piece set
in side of king posts and braced to them.
Listing NGR: NZ2741042011
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings