This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.7779 / 54°46'40"N
Longitude: -1.5807 / 1°34'50"W
OS Eastings: 427068
OS Northings: 542632
OS Grid: NZ270426
Mapcode National: GBR KFD6.L1
Mapcode Global: WHC4Q.P5HJ
Entry Name: Church of St Godric
Listing Date: 10 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1120717
English Heritage Legacy ID: 110089
Location: County Durham, DH1
County: County Durham
Electoral Ward/Division: Elvet and Gilesgate
Built-Up Area: Durham
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Durham St Margaret of Antioch
Church of England Diocese: Durham
DURHAM AND FRAMWELLGATE CASTLE CHARE
NZ 2742 NW (South side)
Church of St Godric
Roman Catholic parish church. 1864 by Edward Welby Pugin; tower 1909-10 by Pugin and Pugin. Coursed squared sandstone with ashlar plinth and dressings; roof destroyed by fire. West tower; nave and chancel with north aisle and east apse. Gothic style. 4-stage tower has north door: 9 panels with mouchette-traceried overlight in 2-centred moulded arch; tall transomed windows above have two lights with dagger tracery; Two tall slits above these; top stage has tall paired belfry openings with cusping below trefoil top lights. Set-back buttresses with offsets; niche in north-west angle has statue of saint. Floor strings; top arcaded corbelling to pierced parapet with large corner pinnacles. Paired aisle windows under cinquefoil clerestory lights; easternmost two are larger and under gables with elaborate cross finials; similar gables over 2-light windows of 3-sided apse; linking moulded coping has gargoyles. Stepped continuous sill string.
INTERIOR: plaster; pink granite columns and sandstone ashlar dressings. 5-bay
arcade has 2-centred arches on round columns with ballflower capitals. Dripmoulds.
Roof missing and interior damaged by fire at time of survey.
Listing NGR: NZ2706842632
Other nearby listed buildings