This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.7836 / 54°47'1"N
Longitude: -1.6465 / 1°38'47"W
OS Eastings: 422831
OS Northings: 543249
OS Grid: NZ228432
Mapcode National: GBR JFY3.BZ
Mapcode Global: WHC4P.P143
Entry Name: Barn and Attached Farm Buildings at Red House Farm
Listing Date: 14 January 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1120719
English Heritage Legacy ID: 109992
Location: Bearpark, County Durham, DH7
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Bearpark
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Bearpark
Church of England Diocese: Durham
NZ 24 SW
5/3 Barn and attached
farm buildings at
Red House Farm
Barn and farm buildings. Circa 1860 for Ushaw College (q.v. in Derwentside
District, Esh civil parish). Possibly by Hansom, who designed Ushaw Home
Farm. Coursed sandstone rubble with quoins and ashlar dressings; roofs
pantiles, with stone-flagged eaves and yellow ridge tiles, and concrete tiles.
U-plan. 2-storey, 3-bay barn on north; one-storey sheds project from outer
bays, their rear gables linked by wall to eaves height forming foldyard.
North elevation of barn has flat stone lintels and projecting stone sills to
partly-glazed square ground-floor openings in each bay. Left return has
similar lintels over 3 doors, the central boarded and the outer blocked.
Flat stone lintels to 2 small rectangular vent slits near top of gable peak;
longer top vent opening has pointed head cut out of stone lintel. Rear
ranges blank on outer returns.
Right return gable has stone lintels over 2 ground-floor doors and central
first-floor boarded loft opening; vent slit with pointed head in gable peak.
Rear ranges blank on outer returns; inner returns not inspected.
Interior of barn shows chamfered posts and beams to ground-floor stalls;
well-made roof with collared secondary rafters.
Listing NGR: NZ2283143249
Other nearby listed buildings