This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.7895 / 54°47'22"N
Longitude: -1.6235 / 1°37'24"W
OS Eastings: 424308
OS Northings: 543906
OS Grid: NZ243439
Mapcode National: GBR KF31.9W
Mapcode Global: WHC4J.1W56
Entry Name: Beaurepaire Manor House
Listing Date: 28 February 1952
Last Amended: 14 January 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1120721
English Heritage Legacy ID: 109995
Location: Bearpark, County Durham, DH7
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Bearpark
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Bearpark
Church of England Diocese: Durham
BEARPARK BEARPARK COLLIERY ROAD
NZ 24 SW
(North end, off)
5/6 Beaurepaire Manor House.
28/2/52 (Formerly listed as Bear
Park remains, in Witton
Ruins of manor house of Prior of Durham. C13-C16. Sandstone rubble with
quoins and ashlar dressings. No roof survives. E-plan. 5 ranges round 2
courtyards open to west, sloping down from top of north bank of River Browney.
Highest surviving wall c.4 metres; most c.1-2 metres high. C13 north-south
hall with cross wings and west extensions; fragments of further C13 building
to north overlaid by C14 cross wing added to earlier C14 north-south room.
Architectural features include small chamfered rectangular window on east
elevation, several fragments of stairs, and drains.
After the Dissolution the buildings became the property of the Dean of Durham
and their subsequent use is not clear, although principally agricultural.
In 1640 and 1644 most of the buildings were demolished by the Scottish army.
Sources: Universities of Durham and Newcastle Archaeological Reports for
1980, pp. 94-7; for 1981, 59-61; for 1982, 71-4; for 1983, 81-4.
C.B.A.3 Newsbulletin 2nd. series, No. 21 (December 1983) and n.d. (April
1985), all by P.A.G. Clack.
Listing NGR: NZ2430843906
Other nearby listed buildings