History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Slashpool House

A Grade II Listed Building in Croxdale and Hett, County Durham

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.7228 / 54°43'21"N

Longitude: -1.5633 / 1°33'47"W

OS Eastings: 428226

OS Northings: 536507

OS Grid: NZ282365

Mapcode National: GBR KFJT.BT

Mapcode Global: WHC4X.YKR9

Entry Name: Slashpool House

Listing Date: 12 June 1975

Last Amended: 7 December 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1120742

English Heritage Legacy ID: 109941

Location: Croxdale and Hett, County Durham, DH6

County: County Durham

Civil Parish: Croxdale and Hett

Traditional County: Durham

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham

Church of England Parish: Croxdale

Church of England Diocese: Durham

Find accommodation in
Coxhoe

Listing Text

CROXDALE AND HETT

NZ 23 NE
6/60
12/6/75

EAST STREET
(East side)
Hett Village
No.4
(Slashpool House)
(formerly listed
in Hett C.P.)

II

Farmhouse and wing at right, now private house. Dated 1708 on lintel of
cross-passage doorway, restored 1982. Coursed sandstone rubble with renewed
Welsh slate roofs and rebuilt brick chimney stacks. Cross-passage in left
bay of wing.
2-storey, 3-bay farmhouse has roughly-squared alternating quoins and two C19
openings on each floor. No doorway. Outline of original 3-light mullioned
window in right bay. Blocked fire window on ground-floor right and small
diamond-shaped (fire or closet ?) window above. Replaced 12-pane sashes
with flush lintels and projecting sills. Steeply-pitched roof with slightly-
swept eaves has end stacks and renewed crested terracotta ridge tiles.
Single-storey, 3-bay wing, formerly byre, partly rebuilt in 1982. Chamfered
E
doorway in left bay has large alternating jambs and lintel inscribed: I A
Two late C20 windows at right and steeply-pitched roof. Rear of main 1708
block has identical diamond-shaped, first-floor window at left, full-height
gabled stair wing on centre and single-storey lean-to addition of 2 builds
at right.
Interior of main block: Chamfered Tudor-arched fireplace with bar stops
against left gable end. Cambered fire beam and fire windowin right end room.
Dogleg staircase, of 4 flights plus landing rail, with moulded closed string,
bold turned balusters, rectangular newels and partly-replaced square-sectioned
handrail. 2 pairs of heavy adzed upper crucks, crossed at ridge and carrying
2 tiers of adzed purlins.
1982 stone porch on rear of wing is not of interest.
(H.M. Roberts, "Cruck-framed roofs in the City of Durham", Transactions of the
Architectural and Archaeological Society of Durham and Northumberland, New
Series, Volume 5, 1980).


Listing NGR: NZ2822636507

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.