This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.7227 / 54°43'21"N
Longitude: -1.4657 / 1°27'56"W
OS Eastings: 434509
OS Northings: 536542
OS Grid: NZ345365
Mapcode National: GBR LF6T.GT
Mapcode Global: WHD63.GK8C
Entry Name: Church of St Helen
Listing Date: 10 May 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1120748
English Heritage Legacy ID: 109957
Location: Kelloe, County Durham, DH6
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Kelloe
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Kelloe
Church of England Diocese: Durham
KELLOE CHURCH KELLOE
NZ 33 NW
7/76 Church of
10/5/67 St. Helen
Parish church. C11 tower and nave; C13 chancel largely rebuilt 1854 and
refitted 1901 by W.S. Hicks; Thornley Porch (Chantry Chapel) founded 1347,
restored 1691 and converted to organ-chamber in late C19; late C18 vestry and
early C19 porch. Dressed stone chancel, coursed rubble elsewhere; Welsh slate
roofs. West tower, aisleless nave with south porch and north organ chamber,
chancel with north vestry. Windows mainly renewed in C19, some with Geometrical
and Decorated tracery.
3-stage tower has massive stepped buttress and C18 diamond sundial on south
and small round-headed belfry windows on each face. Long 3-bay nave: herringbone
masonry in west end; 3 identical buttresses on south; in porch a round-arched
south doorway of 2 worn orders on block capitals with shafts missing; 2 small
blocked windows above porch and 2 C19 windows to east; blocked pointed window
above similar north door; steeply-pitched roof. Long 2-bay chancel with C19
buttresses; C19 windows except for an original lancet on both north and south;
diagonally-buttressed east end has restored 3-light window with Decorated
tracery; steeply-pitched roof with coped east gable. Small gabled porch.
Organ chamber incorporates medieval plinth and masonry from Thornley porch.
Vestry has pointed sash window.
Interior: pointed, double-chamfered partly-restored tower and chancel arches.
Plastered nave with C19 barrel roof has Charles II Arms above tower arch, C18
circular stone font bowl and 1897 plaque to Elizabeth Barrett Browning (1806-
61, who was baptised in the church). Chancel has 1901 barrel roof, panelling
and reredos by W.S. Hicks, 2 medieval grave slabs in sanctuary, and elaborate
unfinished aedicular wall monument of 1712 by Henry Porter. The St. Helena
Cross, on north chancel wall, is a richly-carved, probably C12 stone cross
with 3 panels illustrating the legend of the Invention of the True Cross with
associated saints Helena and Constantine.
(J.T. Lang , "The St. Helena Cross, Church Kelloe", Archaeologia Aeliana, 5th
Series, Vol. 5, 1977).
Listing NGR: NZ3451236542
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings