This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.748 / 54°44'52"N
Longitude: -1.5369 / 1°32'12"W
OS Eastings: 429907
OS Northings: 539321
OS Grid: NZ299393
Mapcode National: GBR KFQJ.2S
Mapcode Global: WHC4R.CXCJ
Entry Name: The Old Railway Station
Listing Date: 15 August 1985
Last Amended: 7 December 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1120749
English Heritage Legacy ID: 109960
Location: Shincliffe, County Durham, DH1
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Shincliffe
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Shincliffe
Church of England Diocese: Durham
NZ 23 NE 299393
(West side, off)
The Old Railway
Former railway station incorporating station-master's house. 1844 by G. T.
Andrews for the North Eastern Railway Company. Dressed sandstone front and
returns, engineering brick on rear. Welsh slate roof with dressed stone
chimney stacks. 2 storeys, 3 bays with tall plinth and first-floor sill band.
Central 8-panel double door with radial fanlight in projecting enclosed porch
with flush voussoirs to doorway arch, impost string, cornice and blocking
course. Later doorway inserted at left. 12-pane sashes with projecting
sills, except for 16-pane sash in enlarged opening to left of porch; ground-
floor windows in recessed panels. Low-pitched roof has overhanging eaves with
exposed rafters and overhanging verges with exposed purlins. 2 stepped
corniced stacks rising through rear pitch of roof. One-bay returns have
similar fenestration and sill bands. 2-storey lean-to, with further lean-to
porch, on right rear and one-storey gabled wing on left rear in s-imilar style.
The station was closed in 1893. A rare complete survival of a small station
by Andrews; better known for larger stations like Scarborough and Hull Paragon.
(G. Biddle, Victorian Stations, 1973 and J. Stredwick, Shincliffe - An
Illustrated History, 1975).
Listing NGR: NZ2990739321
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings