This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.7599 / 54°45'35"N
Longitude: -1.5492 / 1°32'57"W
OS Eastings: 429105
OS Northings: 540644
OS Grid: NZ291406
Mapcode National: GBR KFMD.DH
Mapcode Global: WHC4R.5MJB
Entry Name: Laxey Cottage
Listing Date: 10 May 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1120757
English Heritage Legacy ID: 109981
Location: Shincliffe, County Durham, DH1
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Shincliffe
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Shincliffe
Church of England Diocese: Durham
SHINCLIFFE HIGH STREET
14/100 Laxey Cottage
House. Late C17-earlyCl8 house with possibly C16 rear wing; late C18-early
C19 former byre/barn; c.1930 alterations. Painted roughcast rubble with large
Welsh roof slates and rebuilt brick chimney stacks. T-plan: hearth-passage
house at right with former byre/barn, now domestic wing, at left and earlier
wing at right-angles on rear of original house.
2 storeys; 2-bay house and 3-bay wing at left. Late C18 6-panel door and
patterned fanlight in open-pedimented doorcase leads into hearth passage at
junction. House has wide 2-storey early C19 canted bay window with 12-pane
sashes at left, 16-pane sashes with projecting stone sills at right and a
steeply-pitched roof with swept eaves and transverse end stacks. Wing has
scattered openings with c.1930 side-hung metal casements and a low-pitched
roof with left end stack. 2-storey, 2-bay rear wing has c.1.0- to 1.25 metre
thick walls, scattered 12-pane sashes, large stepped external chimney on rear
gable end and a steeply-pitched roof with swept eaves.
Interior altered c.1930. Main house roof has 2 pairs of heavy adzed upper
crucks, crossed at ridge and carrying halved cambered collars. Rear wing has
massive adzed closely-spaced ceiling beams on ground floor and 2 pairs of
lateClB-early C19 thin curved upper crucks halved at ridge and with a planked
partition set behind front pair.
Circa 1930 one- and 2-storey flat-roofed additions flanking rear wing are not
of special interest.
(H.M. Roberts, "Cruck-framed roofs in the City of Durham", Transactions of the
Architectural and Archaeological Society of Durham and Northumberland, New
Series, Volume 5, 1980.
Listing NGR: NZ2910540644
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings