This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8373 / 51°50'14"N
Longitude: 0.3114 / 0°18'41"E
OS Eastings: 559343
OS Northings: 217940
OS Grid: TL593179
Mapcode National: GBR NGN.MKH
Mapcode Global: VHHM4.B2ZT
Entry Name: The Hall
Listing Date: 17 October 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1120783
English Heritage Legacy ID: 352672
Location: Great Canfield, Uttlesford, Essex, CM6
Civil Parish: Great Canfield
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Great Canfield St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL 51 NE GREAT CANFIELD CHURCH END
2/48 THE HALL
Manor house, late C16 and early C17, extended in C19 and C20. Timber-framed
and plastered (the C19 and C20 parts brick and plastered), roof tiled. The
earliest part is of L-plan, a C16 crosswing aligned NE-SW and an early C17
wing aligned NW-SE, each with an axial chimney. In the C19 a block was
added in the angle, and the roofs integrated and hipped all round. In the C20
the NW-SE wing was extended to the SE and a further block built in the
angle. Two storeys. SW elevation: on the ground floor one bay window with
C20 casements, C20 gabled porch, and late C19 sash window. On the first floor,
one early C19 sash window and 2 late C19 sash windows. NW (garden) elevation,
2 early C19 sash windows and trellised porch, 3 early C19 sash windows above.
No framing exposed internally. Roof of NE-SW crosswing originally of
crownpost construction, altered to clasped purlin. Roof of NW-SE wing of
clasped purlin construction. This is the third manor house established in
Great Canfield, built on a new site by Thomas Wiseman I or II, between 1579
and 1602, possibly part of a larger house of E-plan. (The Hearth Tax return
of 1662 records 16 hearths). (Eland, p. 143-4, Morant, II, 462).
Listing NGR: TL5934317940
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings