History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Christ Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Hale Barns, Trafford

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3901 / 53°23'24"N

Longitude: -2.316 / 2°18'57"W

OS Eastings: 379082

OS Northings: 388190

OS Grid: SJ790881

Mapcode National: GBR DY87.DG

Mapcode Global: WH98W.D1DW

Entry Name: Christ Church

Listing Date: 26 April 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1120867

English Heritage Legacy ID: 212792

Location: Trafford, WA15

County: Trafford

Electoral Ward/Division: Hale Barns

Built-Up Area: Altrincham

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Timperley Christ Church

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Altrincham

Listing Text

SJ 78 NE ALTRINCHAM THORLEY LANE
(east side)

7/36 Christ Church
26/04/85
- II

Church. Nave and tower 1849 by J. Bayley, transept and
chancel 1864-5 by John Lowe, vestry extension 1887 by
Charles Heathcote. Rock faced sandstone with ashlar
dressings and slate roof. Neo-Norman. Wide nave, west tower,
porch, transepts, chancel, organ chamber and vestry. 5-bay
nave, 2-bay transepts, 2-bay chancel. Stone plinth,
continuous hoodmould and coped parapet with blind arcading.
Each bay has flat buttresses (clasping at corners) and a
semi-circular arched window with colonnettes. 3-stage tower
with spire has clasping buttresses, semi-circular headed
openings to each stage, the belfry ones being coupled. Each
stage is diminished and the belfry has nook shafts and
dentilled eaves. Rose windows to transepts, 5-light east
window and a canted bay window added to the organ chamber by
Arthur W. Hennings in 1923 with chequer-patterned gable.
Interior: west gallery, queen-post roof trusses, double-
chamfered semi-circular chancel and transept arches,
chequered terracotta wall tiles throughout (1887), carved
heraldic frieze at tie-beam level. Box pews, altar rail
altar table and reredos by Edgar Wood with inlaid ebony,
ivory walnut etc. Pulpit by John Lowe. North transept door and
vestibule by John N. Cocker.East window by Heaton Butler and
Bayne 1992. Transept windows stained glass by Charles Heathcote
1887. Pre-Raphaelite style nave windows by Heaton Butler and
George Bayne (Faith) and George Wraffe (Gentleness, Courage, Justice and
Diligence). Chancel window by Edgar Wood.


Listing NGR: SJ7908288190

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.