This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3894 / 51°23'21"N
Longitude: 0.4895 / 0°29'22"E
OS Eastings: 573313
OS Northings: 168535
OS Grid: TQ733685
Mapcode National: GBR PPM.YBN
Mapcode Global: VHJLT.FBNQ
Entry Name: Temple Manor
Listing Date: 24 October 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1120910
English Heritage Legacy ID: 173213
Location: Medway, ME2
Electoral Ward/Division: Strood South
Built-Up Area: Rochester
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Strood St Francis
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
STROOD KNIGHT ROAD
TQ 76 NW
2/278 Temple Manor
Hall of the Knights' Templars, later a farmhouse and now an
Ancient Monument in the custodianship of English Heritage.
Storeyed hall of the Templars; early C13. On the suppression of
the Order it passed (technically) to the Knight Hospitallers,
thence to the Countess of Pembroke who granted it in 1342 to her
nunnery at Denny: building from the monastic period now survives
underground as archaeological remains to the N. After the
Reformation it passed (ultimately) to the Blake family who added
2 storeyed brick ends to the older hall in the second and third
quarters of the C17. The hall is ragstone and flint rubble;
western and eastern extensions in brick; Kent-tile roofs, that
to the hall and western extension continuous. The early C13
building is a 1st floor hall plan. The 1st floor hall was
originally divided into a high-status room to the W adorned with
wall arcade to either side, and a more simply treated room to the
E. Single lancets light the side wall, triple lancets the W (and
probably, originally, the E). The stack is a C17 insertion. The
undercroft is also of high quality, with 3 bays of quadrapartite
ribbed vaults with squared chalk infill. It is lit by smaller
side lancets. Access to the upper floor was by means of an
external stair (reconstructed c.1950) through a doorway of one
order with an inner roll moulding and 2 subsidiary fillets.
Western extension, 3 storeys, lit mainly by principal windows on
the W (6 lights to ground and 1st floor, 3 lights to attic), and
served by a stair and entrance turret to the N. Eastern
extension has different moulding details to the W end, with
gazebo-like upper window and original wooden modillion cornices.
Roof throughout C17 and later.
Note: This building was restored by the Ministry of Works in the
early 1950s. A full and authoritative description (from which
the above summary is derived) is S Rigold, Temple Manor CHMSO,
Listing NGR: TQ7320768450
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings